Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building a screen door with material from a large crate from Austria I saved from going to dumpster. 1”x8” T&G 10’ and 12’ long I had 23 boards in all planed on both sides nice stuff. I needed to sand the door frame so I had this A3 for 15 years from auction. I liked the look and was going to use it for belt sander racer. Will that didn’t happen it has just sat on shelf. I got it down did some looking up information on it so cleaned, front roller need needle bearing cleaned/lubed, checked the wiring and got new 3”x24” sanding belt. I was surprised by how well its balanced, sits flat, the contact area is long. It about 14lbs so no need to do anything but guide it along. The sander and sanding belt can be used right up on a wall if need on the non drive side. I have a old Craftsman 3”x21” 315.11751 it leans to drive belt side sitting on table so you need to hold it down so it’s flat on work area. It is very lite weight so some pressure needed to cut. I know there are a number of models of this sander Porter cable put out that look similar. Looking forward to its next use.
Table Wood Automotive tire Machine tool Gas

·
Registered
332 Posts
Very cool - the screen door and the sander.

Wood screen doors bring back memories of the cottage we used to rent on a lake in Wisconsin when I was a kid. There's something about the sound they made when the spring pulled them closed.

That sander looks like a racer.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
All the Bosch amd PC sanders are well balanced...
I had a Bosch 4x24 that died last year, loved that sander. I tried to replace it. They are selling used, if you can find one, more than they were new. I was disappointed to find that the only company making a sander close to what I am used to is Makita. Bosch no longer makes theirs and Porter-Cable has become Ryobi with a different label, no 4x24 offering. I ended up getting the Makita, it does what I use it for, but does not hold a candle to my Bosch.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Those worm drive sanders are tanks. Keep an eye on the oil in the worm drive gear case. They tend to leak a little with age. Also, I don't see a dust bag. I used to use a belt sander along with a hand plane, and this was the only one I had that didn't clog if it accidently picked up a plane shaving.

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I had a Bosch 4x24 that died last year, loved that sander. I tried to replace it. They are selling used, if you can find one, more than they were new. I was disappointed to find that the only company making a sander close to what I am used to is Makita. Bosch no longer makes theirs and Porter-Cable has become Ryobi with a different label, no 4x24 offering. I ended up getting the Makita, it does what I use it for, but does not hold a candle to my Bosch.
The PC are okay but don't like the bag on the right side of the sander. The Bosch on the left. I buy them when ever u see a good price on one at the pawn shops..

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
Be careful, they don’t call them “project wreckers” for nothing 😁
That's for sure. One wrong move and it digs in on one side and digs in deep.

On the other hand, the 4x24's are a whole lot more stable and easier to handle. That extra 1" in width is around 25% wider. You have to work at it to make it dig in. Great for leveling table tops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for comments. Im building the screen door as it’s a short door height 6’-4”. Custom cost was over $200 and had cross bar that would look bad with full glass door in place. I did find the manual in pdf on line that was helpful for maintenance. This is not a model with dust collection but it would be useful. 3A is not the amps but it is 8amps. It’s easier to use over 21” belt and can now see that larger pad makes better flat worked area. The lumber I had was a bit wavy grain and flatten out nice for finishing with a pad sander. This made me curious to look at some new models out there and lot of small ones out there like 2-1/2”-16”. If I come across newer used 4”x24” with dust collection I’m going for it.

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
@RTWaldo
I'm sure that you would be totally impressed at the difference the 4x24 would make. It comes with the same clip-on style dust bag set-up as the smaller sanders do. If you could find a really, really long electric cord it could pull a sled around the neighborhood. This baby has some weight and power to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts