Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new Dewalt scms and have been looking at a new stand. I have been interested in the new Portamate 7000. I recently seen on Craigslist an older Craftsman 22023 workstation for about $150 cheaper than the new Portamate. They look very similar. My question is are they the same? I'd like to be able to get the Portamate portable router station down the road for the stand.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Question?

Do you need a portable MS workstation?

IMO these are only required for a very small shop or when they're transported for field work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a decent size shop 30x40 but want the ability to move the saw (even out of shop)if necessary. I have some musclecars, tractor, mowers, and ranger that have to share the shop so a fixed table is kind of out of the question. I push my equipment to the walls when out of use and in the middle when working.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Sounds like you definitely need wheels.

My MS station is a stationary eight footer in my small shop.

Plenty of storage underneath.

When budget permits I'd like to have a new saw on a portable stand for field use.

I saw a Dewalt stand on some video that had adjustable stops integrated into the support rails.

Great for repeatable accuracy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just getting into some basic woodworking. Made my wife a 54"x96" crafts table and some storage cabinets and shelves over the past two weeks. I'm a principal so I borrowed my schools dewalt scms. I had to go by myself one. You can definitely tell the difference with quality tools. The borrowed stand is a Rousseau and to be honest for the money I'm not impressed.

I was thinking something like the portamate gave more options. I like the additional plugs as well as the ability to mount other equipment. I had read the craftsman was similar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts