Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There is no doubt that one of the most important woodworking tools is a workbench. It gives every woodworker the essential ability to secure a piece of wood to something solid, especially if you prefer working with hand tools. You have two choices: buy a pre-made bench or make your own. Whether you’re a master woodworker or a weekend warrior, having a portable workbench on hand means more than just being able to haul it out when you need more table space – it means you can set up shop wherever you are.
Read More:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/articles/portable-workbenches-make-any-place-a-woodworking-space/

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,060 Posts
My first "workbench" was a B&D model 79-035 Workmate. That was in 1975 and it still serves as a central fixture in my shop and on site. This one is slightly larger than the normal Workmates and sits on four widely splayed folding legs. With the center panel in place it serves as a solid, flat assembly table for small projects. I have added "L" girder inserts of various heights to allow it to serve as an outfeed support for various tools. I mate it with a Store Horse (also with "L" girder inserts) and link the two with 2x4s clamped to the girders to make a longer workbench for large items. Everything collapses and fits in the trunk of a car for transport.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes I have 2 B&D Workmates that I've had for years. Great when working on my house. Can clamp my RAS or other semi-portable tools to one of them and use the other as a workbench. Also the hold down clamps come in handy.

Reactions: Cricket
1 - 3 of 3 Posts