Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just offered me a FREE 5' long x 30" diameter black walnut log. Only problem is I don't have any way to cut it into boards. If anyone in the Lancaster PA area has a portable saw mill for hire or barter I'd be interested in hearing from you. Maybe we can work something out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Maybe contact your Dept. Of Agriculture/Forestry Dept.? They usually have a list of sawmills. I get referrals from my regional forester, people call him and he sends them my way.
Here is the number to your Dept. of Ag., it's worth a shot.
Hardwoods Development Council
717-772-3715

More often than not you kind find a really good sawyer this way, sometimes when you put an ad looking for one and a guy answers...he may be looking for work. Not that it is always the case, but I would take my logs to a guy who is a little behind before one who has a mill setting in the weeds and rusting. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Good advice TT...but they are going to lie, "There ain't a nail in it, no way" :laughing:

That is something to think about though for sure Ken. I hit a nail, it is $20...I hit 3 and off the mill it goes:whistling2:, come get your firewood.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll borrow the metal detector wand from work to scan it first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chain Saw Mill

Ken,
This is the best I can do for you, I just finished making this chain saw mill and it works great. It is made for a 27" bar and will handle any thing in Arkansas, if you need any information on making one let me know.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Hey Ken, how about an update? :laughing:

Sorry guys I couldn't resist. This is the oldest post in the milling section and I couldn't resist to see what happens if I ask Ken for an update.

So did you ever get that walnut milled?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Ken, how about an update? :laughing:

Sorry guys I couldn't resist. This is the oldest post in the milling section and I couldn't resist to see what happens if I ask Ken for an update.

So did you ever get that walnut milled?
Unfortunately the guy who offered it to me burried it under a huge pile of firewood like two days after he told me about it. Thanks for all the great feedback though. Sorry for the slow response time guys. I haven't been on the site for a while because my entire shop is packed up in boxes and waiting to be moved. Hopefully by spring I will be moving into a basement shop more than twice the size of my current shop.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the update Ken. Sounds like a great deal anytime you get to double the size of your shop. Now you'll have to buy more tools to use the space properly. :shifty:
Yeah, I'm already starting a list of new tools to buy! :smile:

·
Registered
91 Posts
IF YOU HAVEN'T FOUND A MILL YET YOU CAN GO to FORESTRY FORUM.COM & look at the top under forum extras there is a listing for sawyers. or call woodmizer. or if you come to candor ny i'll do it for free. I'm near Ithaca .
jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts