Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been a development with a tool company manufacturing a portable mortice and hinge Cutter.

I an interested to know if such a tool exists where it is portable and is able to clamp to the edge of the doors and drill,scrape or chisel for lock mortices and hinges.

I saw one of the carpenters working for Surrey Carpentry and Developments working with one that I am sure he said he got from the US,a brilliant tool that cut a really square hole to a depth from 5mm to 100mm.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
HI Chippy
Well there are literally dozens of devices/jigs that use a router to cut such hinge mortises and lock mortises, of course by the nature of a router cutter, the corners are of course rounded. (they boast a jig that allows you to accurately cut any mortise you cut in the jamb to perfectly match the one you cut in the door) But there are some jigs that also have a square chisel that you can quickly square up the corners with. I don’t know of any truly portable fixtures that allow one to use a hollow chisel mortise device on doors. Of course it is not inconceivable, I have a pretty light weight hollow chisel mortise machine, probably only weighs about 80 lbs when detached from it’s stand. I imagine one could be made that weighs 1/3 that weight or even less. But they are a bit ungainly. Chain mortisers are even worse. Any such device would likely be really specific to the door trade. If there is such a device as you have seen here in the USA, I would try some web sites that specialize in door and window trade.
Maybe someone else knows of such.
best
paul

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I looked in all the catalogs I get and found one you might want to look at. The catalog is "Woodhaven" and in the 2007 fall edition on page .29 is a door hinge jig for a router. It is way to much stuff for me to try to discribe. You can call them at 1-800-344-6657 or look them up at www.woodhaven.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts