Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Set into it meaning the diagonal brace. ? Was planning 2x4 frame. Or offset the brace to the outside or inside edge leaving enough room for the ballisters to reach top and bottom ?
The diagonal brace should be centered in line with the rest of the frame. Or, depending on the size of the pickets, you could put two thinner pieces each side of the pickets but still inside of the frame.

·
Registered
26,674 Posts
A customer wants a gate for porch the keep dogs in. Opening is 74 in the clear. She would like it to look like the porch railing that have ballisters. Would this tension bar keep 36 inch gates from sagging if I built it like a porch railing or do I need a z frame of wood and let it be what it is.
I've repaired gates built by others and used similar hardware and it held. Most of these gates were 6' tall too. One issue you may have is the screws they supply with hardware like that are too short. I used longer screws.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I'm going to pitch her a sliding gate. If she accepts ill take a pic once completed. I believe this will be the most sturdy and easily designed to look like her other railings. Gives full access to stairs and leaves open rest of porch without having to shut the gate to access.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I think the tension rod or z brace will work, at least I've built lots of them that way. Wide rails and stiles would be the key but if it doesn't match the existing structure it may look funny.

If you could have a metal frame fabricated with some gussets that might also work.

I think you've found the best option with the sliding gate it will be safer, too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good job. It looks real nice. I see some pipe, but I can't tell what supports it or how it stays on track during movement. Is it on wheels? The sliding idea certainly takes up less space.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good job. It looks real nice. I see some pipe, but I can't tell what supports it or how it stays on track during movement. Is it on wheels? The sliding idea certainly takes up less space.
Its on wheels. 3 inch casters that are able to be wet. The 3/4" galvanized popes are riding in 1" inside diameter eyebolts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the porch should be sloped for drainage, so a caster wheel may be a wee bit awkward.

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
the only way I would know if a porch was flat level or sloped is to put a level on it.
code or not, I think that outside porches vary according to the designer and builder.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts