Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer wants a gate for porch the keep dogs in. Opening is 74 in the clear. She would like it to look like the porch railing that have ballisters. Would this tension bar keep 36 inch gates from sagging if I built it like a porch railing or do I need a z frame of wood and let it be what it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6 x 6 post. The opening is top of stairs of porch. I don't have pictures. I just have a memory. And I assume to use pressure treated wood.

·
Registered
Ret: Process Engineer
63 Posts
I would seriously consider a twin swinging gate(s) with a center latch & pin thru the floor. Sag is going to be a problem with that offset.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would seriously consider a twin swinging gate(s) with a center latch & pin thru the floor. Sag is going to be a problem with that offset.

Well thats where the 36 inch wide gate was mentioned. Its going to be a double gate rough 36 inches each gate

·
Registered
483 Posts
those should do what she requires.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
an all wood 36" will sag. the metal Z-bracing can make lots of problems if it is not install 'on the center line' - if not it will warp the gate.

if you can arrange for something to support the side opposite the hinge when closed, brief open periods won't hurt.
but if it's open most of the time, you'll have a sag problem.

·
Registered
Ret: Process Engineer
63 Posts
Well thats where the 36 inch wide gate was mentioned. Its going to be a double gate rough 36 inches each gate
Man, that one sailed past, maybe I should slow down on replying and ponder the subject a tad longer....🙄

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a non wood option to cut down on weight that won't compromise the "strength" maybe like a light metal gate

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it possible to add a caster wheel on the end to support the gate? Or a small wood block to set the end of the gate on when it's closed?

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
The consensus here seems to be that a 36" gate will sag. Is that considering the tension rod? I think that should limit sag.

George

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The consensus here seems to be that a 36" gate will sag. Is that considering the tension rod? I think that should limit sag.

George
Well original question was asking about the tension rod i took a screen shot of if it will suffice. But no one has said yes or no

·
Registered
230 Posts
The direct answer to your question is yes. The rod will prevent sag. However, it will always look like an afterthought or repair.

I believe I would make each leaf with one diagonal same thickness as the rails and stiles and make the pickets set into it with mortise and tenon same as the rails. Complicates construction, but it will be much stronger and more stable. Also, you won't have rust prone metal to contend with. Also, the diagonal should have it's low end on the hinge side so that it and the joints will be in compression, not tension.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The direct answer to your question is yes. The rod will prevent sag. However, it will always look like an afterthought or repair.

I believe I would make each leaf with one diagonal same thickness as the rails and stiles and make the pickets set into it with mortise and tenon same as the rails. Complicates construction, but it will be much stronger and more stable. Also, you won't have rust prone metal to contend with. Also, the diagonal should have it's low end on the hinge side so that it and the joints will be in compression, not tension.
Set into it meaning the diagonal brace. ? Was planning 2x4 frame. Or offset the brace to the outside or inside edge leaving enough room for the ballisters to reach top and bottom ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Casters maybe one for each gate but block no don't want a trip hazard. If use casters that should give me more options s for design right?
When I built my barn I made all the stall walls double sided, six by six posts in the middle and inch thick oak plank walls on both sides so the horses can't kick boards away from the posts. The doors to the stalls are also double sided, with 2x4s in the center and oak on both sides. They are over five feet tall and four feet wide (these are for draft horses, that can really put a lean on things). To make sure the hinges could hold these heavy doors I put a caster wheel on the outside corner, just on the outside. I have a concrete alley way down the middle of the barn, so the wheel rolls on concrete. After 20 years there is no sag at all.

The caster wheel rolling on a board floor with gaps between boards might be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Well original question was asking about the tension rod i took a screen shot of if it will suffice. But no one has said yes or no
no. it won't.
if you offset it to one side or the other it will simply twist the structure.
voice of experience speaking.
ymmv - but likely not.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts