Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a little box project with some mahogany scraps I got out of the bargin bin and Wow Mahogany is sweet (first time)
but
the real neat thing I wanted to share was that I used some left over green laced Poplar for the splines and top and bottom, and was blown away.
We read all over the place it is a secondary wood - but I'm here to tell you that it is well worth "bringing out". I also found that it works real good. I've used it drawer/box bottoms etc where you do not need to really worry to much about it, but when you need to ensure the work piece is "perfect" it is very happy to help you out.

not much of a talker but every now and again I just have to share :)

keep up the great work fellas (and ladies)

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
I just finished a little box project with some mahogany scraps I got out of the bargin bin and Wow Mahogany is sweet (first time)
but
the real neat thing I wanted to share was that I used some left over green laced Poplar for the splines and top and bottom, and was blown away.
We read all over the place it is a secondary wood - but I'm here to tell you that it is well worth "bringing out". I also found that it works real good. I've used it drawer/box bottoms etc where you do not need to really worry to much about it, but when you need to ensure the work piece is "perfect" it is very happy to help you out.

not much of a talker but every now and again I just have to share :)

keep up the great work fellas (and ladies)
Sometimes poplar can turn out really nice and other times be your worst nightmare. It is prone to blotching so if you choose to stain it sometime it might be best to stain it with a dye. The biggest problem is wood movement. It seems expand and contract more than other woods and is prone to cup warp. I like it because it is cheap and can stained to go with walnut or mahogany.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Funny, my property is full of poplar. It is my main firewood. It doesn't burn too hot but its free. It grows like weeds and is very weak, it snaps in a windstorm real easy.

I'm just starting to see poplar in the racks at the lumber yards and have to admit that sometimes there are interesting features and colours for an inexpensive wood.

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Funny, my property is full of poplar. It is my main firewood. It doesn't burn too hot but its free. It grows like weeds and is very weak, it snaps in a windstorm real easy.

I'm just starting to see poplar in the racks at the lumber yards and have to admit that sometimes there are interesting features and colours for an inexpensive wood.
Somehow I don't think that's the finish for poplar Fudwrecker had in mind. :laughing:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
HA HA i actually had to cull the off cut bin lately and burned all kinds of wood (it is a fire pit) and my favorite burner is cedar - makes one heck of racket going back to smoke and heat energy

I did not know about the movement issue with poplar and I can see how it can blotch as it was laced with green (new?) wood

I just used BLO and then just spray can lacquer I lover the result - but again it is just a small open topped box (for storing David's tea pouches - a X-mass gift for the niece.)

Thanks for the warning - might have saved me from a disaster down the road.

I have a bunch of this mahogany that is making some guest apearances in some of my other Christmas presents

Do you guys stain it? My instinct is to just oil it - but if it comes even nicer with stain - I'm all ears - any advice or pointers?

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I have a bunch of this mahogany that is making some guest apearances in some of my other Christmas presents

Do you guys stain it? My instinct is to just oil it - but if it comes even nicer with stain - I'm all ears - any advice or pointers?
The type of finish would depend on the project.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Fudwrecker said:
I just finished a little box project with some mahogany scraps I got out of the bargin bin and Wow Mahogany is sweet (first time) but the real neat thing I wanted to share was that I used some left over green laced Poplar for the splines and top and bottom, and was blown away. We read all over the place it is a secondary wood - but I'm here to tell you that it is well worth "bringing out". I also found that it works real good. I've used it drawer/box bottoms etc where you do not need to really worry to much about it, but when you need to ensure the work piece is "perfect" it is very happy to help you out. not much of a talker but every now and again I just have to share :) keep up the great work fellas (and ladies)
Do you have a picture. Would love to see it.
Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a picture. Would love to see it.
Tom

Here you are - nothing very special - if you look close at one of the top pieces on the right there is a seam - this is because my dog grabbed the precut strip bit it inhalf and left teeth holes in it. naturally I did not have enough wood left (by about 2 inches) so had to make it 2 pieces by cutting out the teeth marks and cutting what stock i had left to make second piece - in fact there is still a fang hole a bit further down in the original piece.

Like they say every good gift has a story!
I keep an eye my hound now when she working in shop with me

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts