Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (4 months ago) purchased a crib made of 100% solid poplar wood. Every now and then I notice an odor in the nursery since I put the crib up. Should I be concerned about this? Is it normal for this piece of furniture to give off a smell? I can not distinguish the smell to tell if it is the stain or wood. Please help. I am just worried that It may be off-gassing something harmful to breath.
Thank you!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've noticed a smell sometimes with poplar. Smells a little like urine to me. I don't think it's harmful, and it will dissipate with time.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Peoples ability to perceive odors varies a lot, and I'm clearly less able that mostB but I've never noticed an odor from poplar. But with a finish on it it's hard for me to imagine that anyone would notice an odor from it....is it possible that it's the finish you're reacting too?

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
If the odor is that mild you can only tell it from time to time I wouldn't worry about it. The smell would have to be the finish or perhaps the plastic matt if you are using that. At that volume it wouldn't harm the baby. One thing you could do is when the crib is not in use you could put a window fan blowing on it. The ventilation will dry out the offgassing better than anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.