Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why every one hates poplar. I am doing a clock project, well actually a thermometer/humidity project...lol...I really tried my best to find some walnut, and just couldn't do it, hit up all my friends, drove over a hundred miles to every lumber yard I could find, no dice. I have to use poplar, I stained it up with dark walnut, and you know what, this stuff don't look that bad...would I have rather had some walnut, hell yes, but you know this poplar don't look that bad. Used Charles Neils pre-conditioner and stained, looks pretty damn good. These pictures don't really do it justice, it looks way better in person. So with Neils pre-conditioner and dark stain, poplar does look good, I will probably use it again, I decided maybe I shouldn't be such a wood snob, cheap wood can look pretty too...:laughing:...this is the early stages, need to put on a few more poly coats then glue it up. The center piece with the thermometer/humidity gauge combo will be the last thing to get installed after glue up, into that piece of Pommele sable...I know gonna get yelled at, oh my god you put some cheap ass poplar with Pommele....oh my god the world is going to end....looks fine to me, or will I should say..

Attachments

·
Registered
27,909 Posts
I like working with poplar. You have to sand it a bit more thorough than other woods to get good results but I don't mind. What I don't like about it is it's unpredictable on wood movement and warpage. Some of it is pretty stable and some cups really bad. As far as staining I would rather use dyes rather than depending on wood conditioners to prevent blotching.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Around here the green and purple poplar is saved for special pretty projects. I have a 16" or 20" wide real green board the wife wants saved for a dinning room table.

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
popular poplar

I have always loved poplar, especially how it blends with a few other woods, like walnut. I built a complete bedroom set using these two and the wife loves it. It is about twenty years old and you can see the color is still there (tung oil/lacquer finish). This is the dresser.

TonyM

Attachments

·
justacarp
7 Posts
Poplar is one of my favorite solids.

Stain and shade dark to take advantage of the crazy colour differences. Use of unnatural finish colours or antiqued and heavily distressed finishes have really grabbed the attention of some of the I.D.s I have done work for. For some reason poplar really pulls the effect off.

May be way too soft for day to day dining table. Finished naturally it looks underwhelming (only my opinion eye of the beholder).

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
While Poplar isn't one of my favorite species for furniture, it can be finished to look very good. I had a contract several years ago that was ongoing for quite a while to make chair and sofa frames for upholstered furniture. The chairs were mostly Parsons style. Poplar worked out great for them, and although not much if any showed, the wood was very stable, and precut parts fitted well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts