Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some large poplar logs that I was considering making into a able top for the dinning room table. The log is 5' across x 7' long. The next problem is finding someone with a saw big enough to cut a slab out of it for me. It would get stained a different color. So, would you use it or should I make the whole thing into 4/4 and 6/4?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have some large poplar logs that I was considering making into a able top for the dinning room table. The log is 5" across x 7' long. The next problem is finding someone with a saw big enough to cut a slab out of it for me. It would get stained a different color. So, would you use it or should I make the whole thing into 4/4 and 6/4?
Maybe you have a typo... but you're not going to get much out of a 5" diameter log! :eek: :eek: :thumbsup: :laughing:

·
Registered
312 Posts
It can be done if dried exactly right,
most times you end up with splitting and checking on
something large like that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, now for the fun part. Anyone have a saw that can reach half way thru it? My bar is only 20". Maybe I will have to contact a few local loggers to see if I can get them to do it for a few bucks. I was thinking 1.5" thick x 30" wide x 6' long. Then I can have fun leveling it with some nice hand planes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts