Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I purchased some rough lumber last week 2 boards 16 bf each. I was told it was Ash, but am having doubts. For one, the boards are labelled on the one end as poplar and birch.:eek: I didn't notice the labels when looking at the boards. :thumbdown: I've cleaned up the ends a little. The boards plain very differently. The grain is tight on one. Can anyone help with what I have here?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
The one with the greenish hue could be poplar. Green streaks are common in poplar. Can't really tell on the other one. Ash will have an open grain somewhat like oak, but will normally be lighter color.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Ash (Fraxinus sp) is ring porus, there's a layer of vessels differentiated each spring (aka early wood).
Birch (Betula sp) is diffuse porus, the vessel diameters are smaller and they are spread through out the early wood and into the late wood of each annual increment.

The bottom one, if the crappy digital image can be believed, sure as hello is not ash of any species.
The color of the top one certainly suggests poplar.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bottom board I'm 99% sure is birch. Top board in 1st pic looks like birch also but looks more like poplar in the second pic. Are the boards in the same position in both pictures?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts