Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was staining and polyurethaning my woodwork for the first time. I didn't notice until everything tried that I had a huge blob of polyurethane on my pine window Cill. I tried sanding it out. Eventually I got the blob off but it took the stain with it. I tried sanding and staining back over it but the stain would not take. I also tried using a stripping agent, sanding, wood conditioning and staining again. Still the stain wipes off completely back to the natural wood. HELP! Now I have a white blob on my window cill!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
You are not getting all the prior finish off so the stain will not penetrate the residual finish. You can't just attempt to clean a small area. Remove the finish from the whole affected board or part.

At this point I would use a chemical paint stripper containing methylene chloride on the affected part being careful to keep it off other parts. Follow the directions on the label. Scrape off the dissolved gunk and carefully sand the surface smooth. Let everything dry completely and then apply a few coats of you clear coat material.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts