Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be kinda hard to see but got three coats on this red oak table. Seems to have these marks in a couple of spots. Anyway to fix this other then another coat of poly?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I cant tell from the pictures if that spot is in the stain or the poly, if it is in the stain another coat of poly wont fix any thing in fact it will high light it more, it needs to be sanded down all the way to the stain. But if the spot is in the poly i believe a light fine grit sanding and re coating will do it. But wait for more suggestions from the experts.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't tell if that is some stain on the surface that has run when you applied the poly or a run in the finish. Look at it close and see if the ripple is clear or is it pigment. If the mark is pigment, you would have to remove the finish to fix the spots. If the mark is clear you might be able to wet sand it with 400 grit paper followed by 800x,1200x, and 2000 grit paper and compound out. Personally I think it would be easier to sand the spot and put another coat of poly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The marks are in the poly. Thinking I may sand today and put another coat of poly on. Had no problems with the stain or other coats. Will use a new brush as well.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The marks are in the poly. Thinking I may sand today and put another coat of poly on. Had no problems with the stain or other coats. Will use a new brush as well.
Yes, I can see that and it's a common problem w/ poly if you over-apply. Sanding will get rid of it but you may have to sand down to the wood. With shellac you can get rid of it by rubbing with DNA but I don't know if that works with poly.

I always do wipe-on with poly to avoid this but I only use poly on small areas. I suspect wiping would be a pain over large areas.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
You might pick up a badger brush for brushing poly. If figures, anything that can go wrong it will happen on a table top where it's highly visible. If that mark was on the skirt you could just ignore it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts