Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy it seems today is the poly question day.

I'm to the poly stage on some oak chairs I refinished.

I know 3 coats of wipe on is roughly 1 brush on.

My question is, how many layers should I put on dining room chairs that are used by 3 little kids?

I'm about to go put the 4th coat on. Was thinking 6-8, but I'm in no rush to use them as they aren't needed so I'd rather keep wiping on more poly versus have the kids abuse the chairs.

·
Registered
28,481 Posts
A lot depends on how the wood was prepared. The finer the wood was sanded the less finish it would take. I would apply the poly until you like the appearance and quit. There is no reason to go extra thick. In fact a thinner finish will wear better than a thicker one. There isn't as much to knick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it to 400.

Right now it I like the sheen and overall look. Just want to make sure it is ready for the abuse of kids. put the 4th coat of wipe on last night, light scuff/sand with 320 between each coat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.