Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to woodworking. I've been doing it about a year now. I am working on a project right now that is painted black. The issue I'm having is with the final finishing. With my stained projects I would put on the coats of poly and sand, wipe down with mineral spirits and either be done or put on the final coat. With the black paint, once I sand and wife down with mineral spirits, it seems to have a foggy look in certain spots. What would I be doing wrong? Should I not follow the same procedures? Is the poly not completely dry when I sand? Or will the fogginess go away? Maybe the mineral spirits aren't entirely dry. I know the black is much less forgiving than the stain so maybe it is something I'm doign all the time but is only noticeable on black.

·
Registered
26,208 Posts
Well the fogginess is caused from scuff sanding. If you intend to put an oil based poly over the paint you really shouldn't use that product. Poly tends to yellow and putting it over black in time will make it look like a dark green. If you used a water base black paint it would be alright to use a water based poly or an automotive clear coat. Personally I prefer to use a paint with the desired sheen and not put anything over the top.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I suggest "Polycrylic" by minwax over the black, or some other acrylic topcoat. 3 coats will give you a deep look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sanding

Does the polycrylic need to be sanded in between in each coat? Is it fine to wipe it down after sanding with Mineral Spirits?

·
Registered
26,208 Posts
Before we get in any deeper, what product is the black paint? Polycrylic may not bond well to rattle can paint or oil based enamel.

I would sand any finish between coats. Most finishes need the scratches caused by the sanding to bond to. I wouldn't wipe the dust off with mineral spirits. I would just blow it off with compressed air or if unavailable just use a clean lint free cloth. A residue of mineral spirits might adversely affect the next coat.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
He would be fine applying polycrylic over a water base or oil based black paint. Scuff sand the black with 320 grit and apply the polycrylic.

Scuff sand in between coats and you will be fine, but make sure its dried properly. Dont use mineral spirits as Steve said or anything else for that matter, just blow it off good and re-apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts