Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to get others opinions on putting a good coat of polyurethane on the surface of my table I made. I used 3/4 sanded plywood for the top and was wanting to protect it. However, I don't want it to be so slick that its hard to use the far end as a small assembly area. Should I poly it or should I do something else?

Attachments

·
Senior Something
1,126 Posts
Can't really help you, just wanted to say nice set up. But i don't think a coat of PU would hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you like those retractable casters?
Love the casters. Just put them on yesterday. Had to modify the bench slightly due to the mounting height but they work great. These that I got are the 800lb capacity ones. Can simply push the whole thing outside on the apron or driveway if you want to. I've still got a long way to go on the table though. Adding drawers and pvc for dust collection this coming weekend. Thanks y'all

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I was looking at Amazon ths morning and saw the 800lb wheels for $45.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Back on the topic of "Coating".............................I have always made my "workbench' with a plywood top and never coated any of them. I have used Formica on my assembly tables and those that didnt get Formica got nothing on the plywood tops.
I have always sprayed lacquer on my furniture and turnings, which is unfortunately, at times, one heck of a solvent if it spills and lacquer thinner is even more of a solvent. What I am getting at is that I didn't want to risk one hell of a mess if the lacquer or thinner spilled on my work surfaces that had been previously coated.

Most of my shops were not heated or cooled and lived in very humid climates like in Little Rock, Ar, Biloxi, Ms. and around the SE Houston area. My uncoated tops never showed any signs of bloating, splitting or anything else. I have always used the typical cabinet grade plywood.

Sorry about making a short story long. Comes with age.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don’t apply any coating to my work surfaces. Just start using it, and you will be surprised how fast it will cure almost like a natural finish coat. Like a cast iron skillet, just keep using it and it becomes non stick naturally.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My top consists of two layers of 3/4" plywood with a layer of tempered hardboard that can be easily and cheaply replaced if it becomes damaged or worn. It is held in place by double-sided tape with modified oak trim around the edges. It makes for a durable and pleasant work surface.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts