Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new belt for my lathe, its the Powermatic 2442 Belt is 550J and another # off to the side 1304 not sure if this number means anything. Anyhow if it is like any of the other PM parts it is way more than what it can be gotten for. Does anyone know of a cross reference part # for the belt thinking that auto value or zone might have it.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Need a new belt for my lathe, its the Powermatic 2442 Belt is 550J and another # off to the side 1304 not sure if this number means anything. Anyhow if it is like any of the other PM parts it is way more than what it can be gotten for. Does anyone know of a cross reference part # for the belt thinking that auto value or zone might have it.

Jerry
Jerry -- I bought a spare belt for my Nova lathe from Amazon.

I just entered "550J poly-v belt" in the Amazon search box and it gave lots of hits -- but none when I included 1304 in the search.

You might still be able to find one that matches, you need to know the number of ribs on the belt and look for that. (The 550J describes the length of the loop.)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
What alchymist said. I needed one for my Nova 3000, and Woodcraft wanted $20. I searched the numbers on the belt and found the exact one at Belt Palace for $8 or so, 2 for $15. Even better, I found one that was 1" longer and bought it...it really makes changing the speeds easier, a little more room to maneuver.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
belt

Thanks for the info. The sound the I had sounded as it was the belt but with the belt off the sound was still there. So with a little more searching, this what made the sound a loose Allen set screw tightened and no more clunk-clunk sound. But thanks for the reference on the belt I'm sure that in might be the next thing that I do on the lathe.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Thanks for the info. The sound the I had sounded as it was the belt but with the belt off the sound was still there. So with a little more searching, this what made the sound a loose Allen set screw tightened and no more clunk-clunk sound. But thanks for the reference on the belt I'm sure that in might be the next thing that I do on the lathe.

Jerry
Good to hear you're back in business :thumbsup:

I bought a spare belt figuring that at some point it will snap but I'll be able to keep on turning instead of waiting for a replacement to arrive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts