Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been a wwtalk lurker for a while, and sure appreciate all I've learned here. I'm working on a playhouse that will look like a police box. It will only be 5ft square inside, but will have a shelf they can climb up to and sit on.

The box will be well primed, caulked and painted, and will sit outside in northern CA. The wood is pine, and I'm using Tightbond II because in theory water should not see the glue anyway (if I caulk and paint right, I guess).

My question is on all of these chamfered joints on the panels, and whether to leave a gap between them. I've read up on expansion, but as a best practice, would you leave 1/16 on each end of these angle-joined boards? Or do I glue the heck out of them and assume it will all expand together?

Pics of what the box will eventually look like, the joint, and the panel it will be attached to....
http://imgur.com/a/i1jvp

·
Registered
27,735 Posts
You should use titebond III. Even if you have it in a location that doesn't have it exposed to rain the humidity alone will soften the glue. I'm not sure what your intentions of the construction. It looks to me that is should be made like an exterior door with stiles and rails doweled together and the panels should float loose. The frame with the chamfer should be thoroughly glued.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to WWT forum... please intro yourself in the "intro" forum...

Looking at the picture - I would invest in a panel router bit set that will the whole panel construction. That will give you a front door like the 1 in the picture. All you need to do is pick the panel style and dish out the cash...

As for the rest of the structure, understand that wood moves across the grain only. A piece of wood 1" thick by 12" wide by 3 ft long will only move along the 12" width.

Of course you don't have to worry about wood movement when using plywood. Lots of folks think of plywood as not being real wood but lots of us use it in case construction. We simply use 1X4 wood as edge frame work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.