Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm at 1 3/4 with the ring today. Tomorrow I'll try and get the first 2 1/4 ring completed. I'll start Making more scribe on Tuesday.. (y) .
Wood Crowd City Art Event

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
looking good so far.
:)
Thx.. It's gets boring after a 4 days, but have to get over the hump. Twisting gets to your hands.

Two things I should have done before I started. #1... With the the new Makita slider I intended to put the bench farther away from the saw as I tend to bang into the handle. #2... I should have raised the poker table up to about 2" off the work table for easier access to spin the f-style clamps. I knew this before I started and thought I'm okay. After 4 days it's not okay.

It's not a weekend project and takes a lot of time even if it looks like your getting nowhere..

I have several challenges with this built and it will surely drive me deeper into insanity...

I read an article from "This Old House" with Sam Maloof. He talked a bit about patience. Interesting read..

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
With 14 rings per circle and another 14 needed, I'm undecided on the wood for the beauty ring. Considering some 8/4 Ash or Cherry for the outer ring. At 3 laminations per day it will take 9-10 days for this.

I used TB1 for this lamination. TB2 would be okay, but TB3 the glue would never come off the clamps:poop::poop:

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I was getting a bit of lift from the scribe, so I decided to make a new push stick.the Delta splitter is so tall you have to be high on the push stick not to hit the splitter.
Wood Road surface Rectangle Beige Flooring

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm off on the second stage of this circle. The first banding no glue then glue from there on.

The second roubd of scrive will be thinner as the radius is getting smaller...
Tire Automotive tire Wood Road surface Trunk

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
looking good reb! nice to see you back on a project.
funny about your glue up, there was a guy on here asking about a curved board outside his door. when i suggested clamping to the inside, the consensus was it couldn't be done. you're doing it and doing it well (y)

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
looking good reb! nice to see you back on a project.
funny about your glue up, there was a guy on here asking about a curved board outside his door. when i suggested clamping to the inside, the consensus was it couldn't be done. you're doing it and doing it well (y)
Thx. Hopefully everything works as planned.

4 poker symbols and 6 spots. I'm thinking do this and I will enter 2 jokers ...

I haven't named the jokers yet. 😜
Wood Line Font Wood stain Circle

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Things to keep in mind on a large project.

#1...Do I have enough glue. I have use 1/2 a bottle and I'm using glue sparingly

#2... Do I have enough clamps or enough that I can alternate at the proper times?

#3....Do I have enough material to reach my goal.

#4....Have I taken on more than I can chew? If you don't challenge yourself you don't learn, but better to do it in baby steps on smaller projects than lose a lot on larger projects.Like the boy scouts, earn your badges as you conquer each challenge.

#5.... BE HAPPY:)

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Always thought about making one and laying out cards and chips on the top and then covering it with epoxy.
You should check "Poker Chip Forum" For poker chips and table idea's.

Lots you can do with epoxy...
Art Flooring Balloon Recreation Circle

41 - 60 of 88 Posts