Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is probably a stupid question but if a plan is calling for pocket holes made by the Krig Jig, what would be the next best method? I do not own one and there pretty expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Guess it depends on the project. There are a lot of possible alternatives. Tell us what the project is and where they are calling for the pocket screws.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks everyone, actually lucky me there's a lee valley store where I live :smile:

Thanks for clearing all this up.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I wouldn't use pocket holes at all. Traditional joinery can be as fast, and will (if done properly) IMO be a better method of joinery. And, you don't have to buy a jig.

Starting with the base, instead of using pocket screws, prepare the joints for the legs and stretchers while they are apart, and while they are still square or rectangular, so they will sit flat when machining. I would use at a minimum a ½" dowel to be used like a loose tenon, with glue. Drill out the stretcher, and the leg. That happens where the red outline shows (typically) on the drawing.
Product Violet Furniture Table Baby toys
The cabinet floor can be attached to the base by using screws from below the frame into the floor, typically, as shown with arrows in the drawing below. When used with glue, the legs and stretchers become more rigid.
Furniture Purple Violet Table Rectangle
Where the ends meet the floor a double rabbet can be used with glue. The joint looks like this.
Violet Purple Wardrobe Furniture Cupboard
For the top rail connecting the ends, a dowel can be used as done for the base. For the door, instead of pocket screws, the corners can be done with half laps, which IMO are stronger than M&T's, and a whole lot easier to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts