Woodworking Talk banner

How many woodworkers here use pocket hole joinery?

• Quite often

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Once in a while

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Seldom

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I wouldn't dare

Votes: 7 8.6%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many woodworkers here use pocket holes.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
I think the pocket screws are more useful.:laughing:

I use them for everything. Mostly face frames. Joining wooden countertops together instead of pull bolts. Attaching toe kicks to cabinets, making jigs and anytime I need a 90º joint that has only one side exposed. In combination with glue and biscuits it makes for a quick strong joint. I like'em. I'd like the get the Kreg Foreman pocket holer to speed things up. But $800 is a lot of ching.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I use em all the time. I made my mother in law a couple of small bookshelves and used it throughout. Looking at them sitting on the floor they look fine but turn them upside down and they look like swiss cheese. Everything was joined together with carefully placed pocket screws.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used them lately for joining frame work making a kitchen island. really strong joint:icon_wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of the neatest tools I ever bought. It is amazing how easy they make many tasks. Just like any tool, you wonder how you did without it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use both the kreg and the trend jigs. Most recently i have started too use them on the concealled handrailing on my deckings.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
I use both the kreg and the trend jigs. Most recently i have started too use them on the concealled handrailing on my deckings.
Are you using Stainless Steel screws for the exterior work, where are you getting them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
for the handrailing, its covered, but I use the decking screws ( which I get made for myself )for this purpose. Everything else used on my deckings are made by Fasten master.

Technology Electronic device

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
I use a brand of screws in SS called 'Turbo Ultra'. get them from Screwfix.com. They do virtually any fixing in SS.

The tops are a bit softer than ordinary steel and can burr over when driving. all are 'pozidrive' system.
johnep

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I used my pocket hole jig for the first time on the bookshelf I am building. I think that I will be using it a lot in the future. It sure makes hiding the joint easier.

Gerry

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hate pocket holes, I hate the look of them, I hate the setup, I hate that the parts are hard to line up. I think a biscuit joiner is the better tool--no exposed joinery method. Looking like Swiss cheese doesn't--for me--make fora professional look.

Just my humble opinion.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Oh Nancy

I am so disappointed. You always seemed such an upbeat person to me, but you are so full of hate. Oh well , another hero gone.
I think that I will just crawl back into my hole.

Gerry

1 - 20 of 44 Posts