Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to get a pocket hole jig and I have a few questions before I buy one.

I know kreg is one of the best out there but is the another comparable company that is a little cheaper? Also I don't plan on using pocket holes a hole lot and don't want to spend a hundred plus on a jig. So is the kreg jig jr any good and worth getting.?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have the r3kit and it works good for what it is but someday I'll end up with the master system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I like mine.

The black piece is the micro jig for thin material.
Plastic box came from fishing tackle section in my garage! :)
The sled hangs on the wall ready for action at a moments notice.

Note: Get the dust collection attachment. It works great and eliminates the dust/chips flying out everywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just a thought...

If you aren't going to be doing a lot with it, then using dowels could be a good alternative to spending the bucks on a pocket hole jig.

I have a pocket hole jig (the R3 junior kit that was in the link on Amazon), and to be honest I find dowling with cheap harbor freight dowel kits (about $4) more appealing. And I am NOT a snob. I just seem to be able to do it quicker and more accurately with dowel kits than with pocket holes - maybe if I had the master kit it would be more accurate for me???

But to each their own. Some people will take pocket joinery over dowels any day of the week.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I started with the R3 jr but within about 6 months I had gone ahead and bought a Master kit. IIRC I caught it on sale from Hartville tool for $119. I also ended up picking up a microjig which is also compatible with the master kit. Sometimes that 3/8" trough is a bit much.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Yeah that's the one that I was thinking of getting. I don't see the point in spending 100+ for something I'm hardly going to use. Thanks.
Kreg has some You Tube videos showing the why's and how for's. Check 'em out.

Note: I started with the simple "one holer" but soon realized more IS better. :) It is still in my storage case just in case I need it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like several posters said, you just might use it more than you think you will.
Besides the usual benches, tables, cabinets, etc......
I used mine a couple days ago to make some outdoor window boxes. No need to fill in face nails or screw heads holes.
This past winter I made about 15 cedar bird feeders using the Kreg Jig.
Wife needed a light duty shelf in laundry room. Pocket holed a shelf directly into a few studs. No brackets, it appears to be floating.
Recently removed part of a wall. Used pocket holes to insert studs in between drywall.
Invaluable for making certain jigs in shop.
Made a nice bracket for a hang-up shop vac.

Uses are never ending. I have 2 Kreg Jigs. The K3 and the K4.
Picked up the K4 at Menards for $99.99.
Picked up the K3 on Craigs List for $50. Hardly used. Came with the 500 ct box of 1 1/4" screws.
imo if I were you, I would buy the $99.99 K4 Jig
If you are a DIYer around the house, it'll be your handiest tool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.