Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a new bathroom vanity to hold my sink. The current in made of plywood with a veneer exterior finish and particle board for the interior structure. I would like to build one of higher quality. I was thinking of 3/4" birch plywood. Would that be good or do you have any other recommmendations?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Birch plywood is very good for cabinets, and MDF; not so much (especially when they might get wet). I'd use the plywood throughout the carcase, and skip the particle board as well.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
What is the finish for the inside and outside of the cabinet?
I have used melamine for the carcass and wood fronts. Exposed sides can be veneered.
If you choose MDF- make sure you use high density particle board and not the HD particle board as its not stable.
Birch ply is a good choice but requires painting the carcass

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I don't know if you have cut very much mdf but the dust is nasty.
I made a Birch microwave stand in 1985...and it is still in one piece.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use MBF all the time, it's great for somethings but I wouldn't have it in a wet area.
If it gets so much as a sniff a water it will swell like crazy!
I use it in model making because you can steam and bend it, when it cool's down because it's realy only sawbust and glue it will hold the new shape.
But if you cut a small piece of it, and drop it in a bucket. I dont think you'll wont use it near water.
Cheers mate.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
I hear you on cutting MDF as being nasty. When i do use the stuff, I cut it in my garage with a Festool TS55. No dust and perfect cuts. I won't even lug the stuff to my shop in the basement.

If your planning on staining the carcass I would consider oak ply as birch is hard to stain even with wood sealers

·
Registered
102 Posts
A couple of years back my mother needed a bathroom vanity built, as there was a requirement for a non-standard sized unit. I built one for her, and selected 3/4" Birch plywood (even for the top). The project turned out beautifully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts