Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I make cabintes (wardrobes, desks, side tables etc) using commercial plywood (not water proof). I would like to paint them (oil based or water based). Here is what I am thinking:

1. Sand the surface by 80 grit sandpaper.

2. Apply filler/putty.

3. Sand again by 180

4. One coat of Primer

5. Sanding by 180

6. First coat of oil paint (using spray gun)

7. Sanding by 220

8. Second coat of oil paint

9. Sanding by 320

10. Lacuqer by spray gun.

Reason I want to use lacquer is to give gloss and to make paint more durable. I don't want my paint to be easily scratchable. Am I going the right way?

Regards

Sanjay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mr. CabinetMan.

The reason I want to put a coat of lacquer is because I am not very sure if painted surface is strong enough to sustain sharp objects. For example, if my screwdriver touches it, it will come off. I want to protect it as much as I can. Am I thinking right?

Another option could be to use PU. I have heard that it is pretty strong. Do you have any experience in PU?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mr. CabinetMan.

The reason I want to put a coat of lacquer is because I am not very sure if painted surface is strong enough to sustain sharp objects. For example, if my screwdriver touches it, it will come off. I want to protect it as much as I can. Am I thinking right?

Another option could be to use PU. I have heard that it is pretty strong. Do you have any experience in PU?
I suggested oil base to you and advised it may add an amber tone to the finish, but it is durable, as is waterbase polyurerthane.

·
Registered
27,110 Posts
The reason you shouldn't put lacquer over enamel is the solvents in lacquer are so hot most of the time will make enamel wrinkle up like you put paint and varnish remover on it. If it were me when you get down to the last coat add some oil based polyurethane in with the oil base paint. Don't add too much or you many experience the yellowing, not more than 25% by volume.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I painted my router table with white latex. (HD Behr) Then I put a couple of coats of Minwax Polycrylic. The only catch I had to wait for the latex to full cure, about 4 weeks. That was almost 15 years ago and while the router table is a bit beat up, the finish still looks reasonably good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts