Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is a project from a piece of wood anyone else would have thrown away. I don't remember who gave me this piece. It was the corner of a solid core door. It was about 4 1/2" square, had 3/16" cherry veneer on the outside and a piece of cherry on one side and a dado on the other side. I kept it around for quite a while and everytime I looked at it thought why in the world am I keeping this. I kept thinking that maybe someday I will come up with a project for it.
Well it finally talked to me. I decided to make a mirror. I glued 2 more pieces of Cherry to the outside and filled in the Dado with cherry. I turned the mirror side and then started on the back. It was about 3 times as thick as my normal mirrors and I started to turn away some of it but then it started to look interesting. I thought what if I leave some of that cherry veneer. I did but didn't like it . then I thought what if I make a box out of it.
I hollowed it out which also reduced the weight so the mirror feels more like a normal sized mirror as far as balance.
turned a lid and then decided to add some epoxy with gold leaf in it for a little more decoration.
dug through my stash and found some more cherry and good quality plywood and made the handle.
I'm pretty happy with this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks great! I didn't know you could even turn plywood. Very impressed. This makes me want to keep all my scraps.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Thats just too cool!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey John,

I hope this is hi-jacking the thread but are you mostly self taught Turner? Or have you taken any official classes?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say I'm magazine and Demo taught. I learned on my own for about 5 years. Then I moved to Cookeville and worked as a photogrpaher for Tenn. Tech University. The Appalachian center for Craft is part of the school so I met their turner. He did show me a few things but most importantly he introduced me to the Tennessee Association of Woodturners and the American Association of Woodturners. You get to see a lot of demos when you belong to a good club.
I subscribe to almost all of the woodworking magazines and most of the woodturning magzines. You learn a lot if you read all that and try what ever you can.
Mostly I just love to experiment and learn more about cutting tools of all kinds.
When I started teaching I got to meet a lot of good turners at each place I demo. You can pick up some good techniqes that way.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Nice John,
Nothing wrong with good plywood. One of the guys in our club brought in some cut offs of 1" thick osb with birch veneer top and bottom. When you cut it up and glued it together, it looked really cool when turned.
Mike Hawkins:;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Gorgeous piece! Never thought that plywood will turn out that great. The effect looks amazing and the finish is awesome. Excellent work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts