Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow you did all those joints by hand? A router and even a home made jig would have been so much faster.
Yeh haha, welcome to the stone age, but seriously i dont have a router, and I am doing it this way for a few reasons:

As a practice before building a much larger one
As a reward for finishing assignments at Uni I do a bit of work or design another part of it so finishing it quickly is actually the opposite of what i want to do
I like the idea of it being enclosed on all sides like a cave almost,

I know there is quicker ways to do what im doing but doing it manually is how my grandpa learned, and how he taught my dad, they both turned to electronic tools once they were confident however it has worked quite well for them, my grandpa was quite a craftsman before he passed and so was is my dad, touch wood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Alrighty, Uni is over and it's time to get into the project, (passed all my subjects) I have finished all the finger joints and I have included a photo of the dry fit, very happy to have that part finished, next step is building clamps (cheap,broke student) and then glueing, which I will do tomorrow then, sanding

Anybody still confused by my design it is pretty much a plywood box, with a windows in the front.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm not to sure I will nee one, the "weak" side that would be braced is purely for show, water will not reach that high, meaning that there will be no pressure on that joint, water pressure increases exponentially on the vertical axis not horizontally, glass tanks up to 8 feet in length don't require cross bracingand that is with glass less than 6mm thick, I have just bought a multi tool so after gluing if I think t needs a little extra I will add a brace.

Thanks for the kudos, my joints got much better towards the end, I guess that happens when you do nearly 5 metres of joints by hand

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not to sure I will nee one, the "weak" side that would be braced is purely for show, water will not reach that high, meaning that there will be no pressure on that joint, water pressure increases exponentially on the vertical axis not horizontally, glass tanks up to 8 feet in length don't require cross bracingand that is with glass less than 6mm thick, I have just bought a multi tool so after gluing if I think t needs a little extra I will add a brace.

Thanks for the kudos, my joints got much better towards the end, I guess that happens when you do nearly 5 metres of joints by hand
My mistake, I was under the impression you were building a stand for a tank. Very interesting idea. You should check out the forums on reef central for any advice, it has helped me with a ton of aquarium stuff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not yet, the stand and the canopy are the next stages, going to tackle the stand, I'll have to start planning that soon, I want a very minimal design, a stand rather than a cabinet, it would be far too much wood with a cabinet, thinking 4 or 6 sturdy legs with a shelf to mount the tank and a shelf lower down for stuff

·
Registered
258 Posts
As a salt aquarium enthusiast I can tell you that Plywood tanks do hold water and weight when properly done.
Yep, same here. I have seen lots of plywood tanks. Some of them HUGE (1000+ gallons). Built properly they hold water just fine. For anyone interested, there's a thread on it at another forum I belong to here.

Also lots of youtube videos if you search.

Good luck OP!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So the glass is ordered and due for delivery any day, the first coating of runner cement is drying as we speak :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
72hrs from now the silicone will be cured and the rubber cement will also be cured, expect a photo of the tank full of water to test the seal!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm confident that it will hold up however I know that I am no engineer so it will sit, full of water for 3 weeks to a month straight to test for leaks/failure, if it is to fail the I won't be too upset, I purposefully have held off building the more expensive stand and hood because I know prototypes fail all the time

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard of a plywood tank. Tank surround, sure. Tank? No, but I'm quite interested in seeing the result. Not that I doubt it'll work.

You learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeh Steve they are quite common, more so in the 1000's of gallons rather then 50 gallons like mine, only suckers buy what they can build themselves though

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
YouTube is full of PLYWOOD water safe/holding fish tanks, for any of the doubters.

I wish you well, I am looking forward to seeing it up and running. FULL OF FISH TOOOOOO.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Decided to go down a different path and follow another dream I have had for a long time and get a snake instead as the filtration for the unit worked out to be nearly $200, way more than the tank, here is my finished piece, very happy with it!

With the 80watt basking light

And with the LED night viewing lights

21 - 40 of 45 Posts