Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum - hope I'm in the right place to ask this question. I need to notch out a 1" x 1/2" piece from the 'nose' of my oak stair treads where they meet the wall in order to install trim pieces against the wall and on the treads.

Using my Boash multitool and hardwood blade I can made the 1" cut through the bull nose. The 1/2" cut laterally to the wall is the problem. The tool head keeps my 3/8" blade from being completely vertical at the end of the 1" cut and at the wall. I've searched for an off-set blade to get beyond the head, but no luck. Again, the cut is 1" though the bull nose and the laterally to the wall to remove a 1" x 1/2" notch.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am not completely clear on what you are trying to do, but I have a fien multi tool and I have an offset wood blade that allows for flush cutting.

·
7,222 Posts
Hard to fully understand without a picture.

Can you cope the trim, i.e. cut the bull nose curve out of the trim with a coping saw?

May be easier since the trim may not be installed yet.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
maybe you could make multiple cuts (like the first) cutting to the 1/2" line. then pairing them out with a chisel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I didn't post a sketch because I don't know how, but let me try this:

I <<< Wall
I Plan view of stair tread.
I_____
I I
I I <<< A 1/2" x 1" notch that I need to cut out.
I I
I_____I________________ <<< Bullnose
I
I

I can make the 1" cut with a plung cut blade or with a reciprocating blade - not as neat as the plung e cut.

The 1/2" cut is my problem since it is a plunge cut ( in my view) with a 3/8" blade. The left end of the cut is against the wall and my Boash tool head is too big to allow a completely vertical plung of the blade against the wall. I suippose I could do the cut off-vertical and into the wall since it gets covered with the trim I'll install. In your opinion, is that the best way to handle this or is there another tool more appropriate to the task?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears that my 'sketch' changed upon submittal - oh well.
Thanks Scott. I was looking for an automated way to make the 1/2" cut to the wall. There are 16-treads x 2 ends of each tread and was hoping that there was an offset blade for the Bosch to get the cut beyond the tool head and over against the wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts