Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded some plug ins, but have no idea how to use them. I built a small sample project to experiment and clicked on Ruby Console, but it came up blank. Do they need to be installed or something? I put the downloads in the Plugins folder in SketchUp. There is no folder for Ruby Console. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had this problem and almost turned to heavy drinking before I got it.
Look under program files (usually on the C drive), find Google. Under Google find Google Sketchup. Under that dir you should find Plugins. Put your plugins there. If your plugin has a dir put the dir there and there should be a file the goes with your plugin dir that goes in the google plugin dir. restart Sketchup and look all over for them. They could show up anywhere. The docs with the plug is should tell you where they will appear. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can find the folders alright. There are two of them in the SketchUp 8 folder. One is Plugins that has folders in it and the other is sdk plugins with two files in it.

I'm not sure what you mean by restart SketchUp. I have a shortcut on my desktop that I click to open SketchUp which I have done and not found any Plugins. Is this what you mean by restart? Or should I make a new shortcut from the SketchUp file?

I am trying to find new things to do in SketchUp and downloaded a bunch of Plugins after clicking on Learn about Ruby Plugins in the drop down Help menu. There may be some things from those that I want to try, but I'll look at that later. The biggest one I would like to use is a Plugin for CutList 4.1.1. I followed the directions for it, but they were just for filling out things like board thickness and length and inches or metric. When I open CutList, I get that form in a Windows Internet Explorer window. Then I open SketchUp in another window with a sample box I made to practice using the cutlist. How do I get these two windows together? I looked all over for Plugins in the SketchUp sample box model, but the closest thing I can find is the Ruby Console which is empty and like the other poster suggested, this is not something I want. I don't want to write a Plugin, just use one.

Thanks so much for the help. I thought it was an easy question, but I don't think I asked it very well. A link to page after page of questions isn't very helpful to me since I am on dial up and it takes forever for each page to load and can be quite time consuming clicking on different questions until I find the right one.

·
Registered
970 Posts
cutlist was created by steve racz, (aka daltxguy)
he has a forum/blog on cutlist here http://lumberjocks.com/topics/9435

cutlist enumerates model components that you have selected from your model to be used in the cutlist. Select the components you want to include in the cutlist before opening the cutlist.

components need to be named according to what they are. Components to be made from plywood should be named accordingly using the words you have listed in the cuslist window as those to indicate which parts are plywood (sheet, plywood, etc)... if not the program will assume the parts are boards and will try to list them as boards.

Very large files like a whole kitchen cabinet list may have problems producing the list or take a long time.

I usually run a cutlist of all the cabinet boxes...then run a cutlist of all the fronts...then run another cutlist of the door and drawer fronts.

If you have different materials to be used in the model those materials should be made part of the name when you create the component.

For the above reasons you should develope and use a good method of creating and naming components or you will find it confusing when it comes time to cut the marterials.

I would suggest you visit the cutlist blog on lumberjocks and the sketchucation plugins forum.

·
Registered
970 Posts
by the way...i asked which plugins you were trying to install because they do not all install the same way.

Many, if not most, do install in the plugins folder but some require other folders etc. Its best to install them using the instructions from the plugins creator.

Some plugins conflict with other plugins. This is usually known and takes some research. I always check with the plugins forum at sketchucation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I made a sample to experiment with. I made a simple box with a Front, Back, Left Side, Right Side, and Bottom. I made each of these as a component and named each of the components. Then I made the whole thing a component. I selected the whole thing then opened the Cutlist Plugin and clicked on Run. Nothing happened. I don't understand how one window can work on an item selected in another window. I guess I was looking for a Tool or something like a Styles menu in SketchUp to use. It sounds like Plugins are just over my head, but thanks for the help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The screen shot you show appears to be in one window with CutList running in SketchUp. I don't have that. They each come up in their own separate window. I don't know how to do a screen shot, but here are drawings of what I am talking about. There are things that I did not draw in because it would have taken a lot longer than it did.

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
when you open cutlist do you open it from the menue in sketchup? cutlist.jpg

to capture a screen image I use the "print screen" button on my keyboard. Hit print screen then open paint program and then paste the image there (edit/paste)...save the image as a jpg in your photos folder. To post the image here down load the image with the paperclip button

image post.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just loaded Cutlist again. Changed OS and forgot it. Restart Sketchup means get out of Sketchup then go back in again. In the dir Plugin you should have a file named Cutlist.rb and a dir named Cutlist.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THAT’S what I was looking for. I don’t have a menu for Plugins. The ONLY place the word Plugins appears in SketchUp is in the Help menu as Learn about Ruby Plugins. I’ve been there and it is for downloading some plugins which I did thinking I could play with them later. I have SketchUp 8. Are Plugins for Pro?

Thanks on how to capture a screen image.

I have closed SketchUp and opened it again many times, but still don’t get a Plugins Menu. I do have the files you mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
no..the plugins are not just for the pro version. I'm not sure why you don't have a plugins menu. You may need to down load and reinstall SU V8 again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok scott. This bothered me. Take a good look under Sketchup folder. Make sure Plugin folder is directly under Sketchup folder or the Plugin menu will not show up in Sketchup. Have you changed anything in the preference menu? Did you change where to look for files in Sketchup? BTW. The Plugin folder must be spelled exactly "Plugins".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Under Google SketchUp 8, I have the exact same folders and + symbols as in mics screen image. All of the folders were created by SketchUp, so the spelling and where to look should be alright. The only changes I made to Preferences (if that's where it was at) were to change from architecure drawing to project drawing (or something like that) and for accuracy to be at 1/64".While looking through the files in the SketchUp folder, I saw one called SketchUp 8 WEN that was listed as an application file so I opened it and it turns out it was a Repair program so I installed it thinking that was going to fix the problem. It didn't. The one thing I did notice from the screen shot is that mics has Versions 6 and 7. I never had 6 and after I downloaded 8, I Removed SketchUp 7. I wonder if Removing version 7 messed up the Plugins. I don't remember about SketchUp 7, but I know when I have Removed things in the past, I will sometimes get a message that says removing specific files may affect the way other programs run.I'm starting to think that maybe I should Remove SketchUp 8 and download it again, which takes about 12 hours, or just live without Plugins. Thanks for the help. At least now I know there is supposed to be a Plugins menu in SketchUp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts