Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28,625 Posts
The first picture is wood graining. It simulates wood with paint and glaze. The red under it is probably the base coat. I doubt if it was the original finish. My guess the piano was at one time or another in a building that was in a fire. The wood graining was probably an easier fix for the black spot on the end. The panel that has the black spot you might try some oxalic acid in warm water to see if you can lighten it up some before you sand it. I assume it is veneered so be careful sanding it. There may not be much wood left to sand.

On the second picture, if that is veneer off of it then the center of that panel needs to be re-veneered to have a good outcome. It's too big to patch. I would go over the panel and tap it with my fingernails. If the veneer is loose you can hear a definite hollow sound. If there is just a spot or two I would cut into it and glue it down with super glue. If there is a lot of spots I would use a utility knife and go around the trim and cut the veneer and completely remove the veneer from the center. Then cut a piece of veneer to fit between the trim and glue it in. It's difficult to tell from that picture but it appears to be mahogany veneer on that part. If you could post a closer picture perhaps one of us could tell better.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.