Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please Help With Info Regarding Rengas Wood

I know little to nothing about woodworking. I was hoping that someone with more knowledge and experience could give me some information regarding the use of Rengas wood.

I've learned that it is a known irritant to the skin and unfortunately, I have experienced the effects of it myself. Although not everyone is allergic to it, I was wondering if there is a certain level of care that should be exercised, especially in mass-producing a product, to better ensure the safety of customers.

Should a polish/finish always be used? How safe is it to use this type of wood to make jewelry? Any information that can be provided is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
If there's a wood out there that you're allergic to, how will you work it and escape the dust factor? I'd stay away from that. If it irritates your skin, imagine breathing in the dust particles and getting some in your eyes and ears. Sheesh, that's not for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mariaelizabeth

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not working with it myself. I'm just wondering if there is precautions that a person/company should take when manufacturing/selling a wood that is prone to causing allergic reactions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
I know nothing about that particular wood, but if it has the potential for allergic reaction from skin contact, it is not something I would want to be selling, especially for jewelry which will be in constant contact with the skin. The liability of selling something that is known to be an allergen is near absolute.

There might be no problem once an item has a proper finish on it, but finishes fail - they can wear off or be chipped.

How would you even market such a product? Would you include a label which states "this wood is a know allergen and can cause skin irritations similar to poison ivy - wear at your own risk!"

Take a look at the allergies/toxicity and comments section on this information page about rengas: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/rengas/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Rengas wood
Allergies/Toxicity: The sap of Rengas is reported to be strongly irritating to the skin, causing blisters, sores, and reactions similar to poison ivy, as well as fever and constitutional effects in some individuals. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/rengas/
Given that this is not a well known and easily recognisable timber , it is a fair bet that very very few folk will know if they are allergic to it , and even fewer will know if any intended recipient has the allergy .

I feel that to market a product made from Rengas would be irresponsible .
There are other timbers out there that will serve the same purpose , without the health risk .

my two bobs worth,
Jock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
I'm not working with it myself. I'm just wondering if there is precautions that a person/company should take when manufacturing/selling a wood that is prone to causing allergic reactions.
Sure there are. They can either not work with it, or retain a good lawyer. :laughing:
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top