Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty new to woodworking and also my first post here so please forgive any ignorance I may have. I just started playing with some water based stain. I made a mobile shop cart maybe 6 months ago and was bored in the shop so I though I would try adding some water based stain to the doors and drawers. This is my second time using general finishes water based antique brown stain. Both times have given me unsatisfactory factory results. First time was on some cheap sande plywood I was using for the bottom of a coffe table and this time was on some prefinished birch ply. Both times I have sanded to 150grit and then applied stain. I get brush/swirl marks from applying the stain and then streaks when trying to wipe off the excess. I really do not like the look as it appears very uneven and sometimes I even get light and dark spots. The first time on sande I used gf prestain conditioner. This time on the birch I tried it on the bare wood. Is it possible I didnt remove all the finish and the pre stain condition has sealed the wood to much causing the results I am getting. Thanks in advance I really appreciate any input. Attached is a photo of the doors I just stained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,092 Posts
A water based stain is real similar to latex paint. It dries really fast so you almost have to apply it with one hand and wipe it off with the other hand. If you want to use a water based stain you might add a little Flood Floetrol to the stain. It will slow down the drying time a little. If you do get in trouble you would always wipe off the excess with a wet rag and the lighter boards you could put a second coat on. Personally I would rather use an oil based stain. Unless it's really hot when you apply it you have all the time you need to wipe off the excess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve! I will try that out. I have a little more experience with oil stains and I much prefer them so far. I’ve had one decent experience with water stain, so I knew it had to
Be something I was doing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts