Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its not actually a door, just a piece that goes under the sink. Not my original work- all i am doing is making a duplicate to replace the busted original...so my question is where can I get these metal tabs that hold in the piece OR what would you recommend to hold it in?

I'm not actually sure how the metal tabs work to hold it in?

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
I doubt if you are going to find those clips anywhere. You might use friction catches if you want the fronts to still be removable. If it were me I would put some blocking in the cabinet and put the fronts on permanently.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Take the old clips off the old piece and put them on the new piece. I see from the pics you still have the old piece so you can easily make a replica. Tools you will need to make the job easy are a table saw and router table. Even the wood pull was made on a router table...

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
what do you mean blocking on the cabinet? To nail into it?
Well, liquid nail to. I don't like to put nails through the front if I can help it. It's just a couple pieces of wood about 2" wide with a 3/8" lip on the ends to fasten to the faceplate from the back side. Then the false front should just glue to it. If the sink wasn't in the way it could just be put on with screws.

I had a customer that had me make the sink false fronts removable and their kids kept pulling them off and dropping them of the floor. There is no telling how many times I had to go back and touch up the damage. Finally they got so bad they were not repairable and they had me make new ones. I talked them into putting them on permanently and they agreed.

Another option if there is enough space with the sink is you could put some wood to the side of the opening and put soap trays on false fronts and they would just fold open with a plastic tray on the back side of the front. I believe the last time I bought some it was about 17 bucks at Lowe's for two trays and two sets of hinges. If they weren't 3/8" lip doors the hinges would mount right to the faceplate but I think you would need wood on the back side with your doors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts