Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have crafted a branch type display out of green trimmings from our yard.

The wood I'm using is actually Indian Hawthorn which is an evergreen shrubbery(bring me a shrubbery lol) or can be trained to grow as a dwarf tree(which is what we have). I have searched high and know on sites trying to find anything on using this type of wood in the matter I'm using it. My search has yielded me to an empty dead end.:huh:

Therefore I figured I could possibly turn to skilled and knowledgeable woodworkers/crafters.

Has anyone ever used shrubbery wood? Does the drying time for trees apply to shrubs?

I just cut it yesterday and arranged it to the shape I want then brought inside so that it is in a controlled temp. The fresh cut ends are already pretty dry and some splitting has already began.

Can I apply any oil or finish to it being this freshly cut? Sorry for all the questions I just really have no knowledge on this matter. Thanks in advance.

·
7,222 Posts
I do not know your shrub, but wood is wood. A shrub is typically smaller branch sizes.

Wood has two types of moisture, "free" moisture which exists between the cells and "bound" moisture which exists within the cells.

As the "bound" moisture is lost the cells shrink and then the wood warps and/ or cracks. Tis the nature of the beast.

Bigger sections take longer to dry and have greater potential dimension changes.

If you seal the ends with paraffin wax or Anchorseal (a brand of sealant for this purpose) you can slow down or eliminate the moisture loss. If the seal is removed you will then get the moisture loss.

Wood turners will cut log sections, seal the ends and then put them aside until the person is ready to turn the log section.

If you are going to make these items often, perhaps get some Anchorseal. Easy to apply, no odour, water cleanup.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...de=packard&Product_Code=157201&Category_Code=

If you apply a finish to the cut surfaces, this slows down the loss of moisture but will not stop it.

You can apply finish to the bark, although in some cases the bark may become loose over time. Hard to predict. Smaller branches have smaller movement so more likely to keep the bark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda figured wood is wood but never hurts to ask.

I actually debarked it for a raw look. I'll try to post pics so y'all can see what I'm doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts