Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hello:

I just purchased this beauty, but I have trouble identifying the Rockwell model #. It is a 16" scrollsaw, single speed, motor mounted on base of stand. Here are some pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lrqc74iqtfu2ylh/AABs5QjmLU4-ClON8Iti-b7pa?dl=0

Thanks!

It might not even have a model number 16 inch scroll saw might have been the only identifying number

They probably only made one model, Homecraft was their "competitive" line, high quality but built lighter than the Rockwell/Delta or just Delta, they used either name at times

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I have the same one. you have a very nice metal stand - mine is on a wooden homemade one. we also have different hold down foot. the hole on the left may be a blower - mine has a small thin pipe threaded in that hole pointed toward the work. will look to see if mine has a model number tonite.

have you used it yet? let me know how that hold down works...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cat:

Actually, in the meantime and after a LOT of digging, I was able to find the correct model number (40-110) and also found the free manual for it on VintageMachinery.org.

Thanks for the help, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
TimPa:

Thanks. Yeah, the stand makes it very sturdy. I started to use it on my first project but after an hour of cutting, I felt the blade was wobbling too much. So I took apart the upper and lower blade clamps and cleaned and tightened them up. In the process, I discovered something very strange. The lower jaws that hold the blade are made for two options - two flat jaws to clamp scrollsaw blades or two jaws with v-grooves to hold saber blades. I discovered that one of my jaws was installed backwards so two flat jaws were never adjacent. See pix. I punched the pin out and corrected the problem. I would guess someone along the line put the jaws back together wrong, but you may want to check yours too.

Lower blade clamp

Original lower jaw (incorrect jaw orientation)

Corrected lower jaw (from manual)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TimPa:

If you (or anyone with a similar scrollsaw) ever loses the small lock screw that holds the lower jaw to its shaft, those screws are hard to find because they are #6-40 1/4", not a standard size. Most hardware stores, even good ones, will only carry down to #6-32.

I found seller (Monster Bolts) on eBay who sells them at a reasonable price for a small quantity of 10. Keep for future reference:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-40-x-1-4...ide/110999210680?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.