Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up a few years ago. No identifying marks. The remaining blade is a Craftsman. It may be a Sargent made for Craftsman.

A Plane1.jpg

A Plane2.jpg

I'd like to restore it. Maybe even use it, but not being an experienced or knowledgeable galoot, I don't really know what task its for.

And, it's missing a fence and, possibly a depth stop. Any thoughts about where one could find a fence and a depth stop for it?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks a good bit like a Sargent #198, sans name casting in handle. I know that Sargent made planes for Craftsman(I have a nice Craftsman badged Sargent fillister like Dave mentioned), and they are pretty much on par with any other analogues. Make sure the sole is flat, clean up the casting, sharpen the iron and cut some rabbets!

WCT

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
If the site Dave linked does not help ya, try contacting the guy who runs the store over the wood wrights school (Roy Underhill's school) I think the gentlemans name is Ed? From what I have heard if its a wood working tool the man knows about it and can most likely find the parts for ya.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It looks a lot like a Stanley 78 as previously mentioned. A local hardware store has a Stanley 78 fence assembly on the shelf cheap - I think it was listed as $4.99. If you find that it would fit I could pick it up and ship it out to you if interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts