Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm designing a playhouse with a loft for my son. I have the frame of the of play house. I'll be using resurfaced 2x4 for the frame and will have some type of paneling for the wall. There will be a door and window on the front of the playhouse. I would like a rustic look. Any suggestions to get the 2x4 to be a darker color and have the panels a lighter?

The bed will be above the playhouse with a railing system. There will be a steps going up one end to get to the bed. The top and stairs are still in flux.

I was going to use M&T to attach the vertical pieces to the horizontal boards. Rabbets, dowels, and furniture bolts will hold the sides and front/back together. If I made the railing for the bed separate from the frame how could I securely attach it to the frame? Would a tongue and grove be strong enough? I'm thinking this thing will be used for the next 10 years. It would be nice to be able to separate the railing from the frame. (We'll be moving at least once within the next 5 years, with a possible second move across the country).

Any other suggestions. Am I doing some obviously stupid? How can I make it better? How would you do it?

Thanks

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
If you use "resurfaced" 2 x 4's then they will have a fresh surface from the planer and you'll lose the rustic look. Then you say you are going to panel it, which will cover it all anyway, so the rustic look will have to come from the paneling on the inside. Outside a rough textured plywood will be rustic like T 111. Then you say it should be designrd to disassemble. Unless you make it a modular construction, and have exposed fasteners , that will be a tough one. Torx head or square drive screws will with stand repeated use. I'd avoid Phillips heads. Lag screws may work.

Mortise and tenon is way overkill for this project in my opinion. When you sheath/panel the walls they become very rigid and you just need to join the corners with long screws, possibly metal attachment brackets, but they won't look rustic unless painted black like old iron.

The railing just needs to be attached to the deck of the loft and if made in a typical stud and plate design it will be plenty strong. Extending the some 2 x's down and attaching them to the face of the loft edge will help secure the railing. Our playhouse house a pull down attic ladder, but it's a "bear" to pull it down since it's got some HD springs. A suggestion is to mount the ladder on the wall, and frame out a square hole at the top for security around it. It won't take up any floor space that way. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome house woodnthings. The one I'm planning is much smaller. The inside dimension is 75x39, the size a a twin bed.

I was thinking of having the panel fit between the frame studs. Possibly in a grove.

For portability, I was thinking the top railing, the stairs, the 4 walls could all be separated. The walls would still be large (78"x45"), but they could be moved.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would redwood be a good choice for the frame? It would be a darker color that could conrtrast pine panels.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The customer (aka the wife) has completely changed her mind about this bed. Maybe in a few years I can come back and finish this project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts