Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I notice a lot of people say to get a planer and I am assuming that most people have one of the 12-13" models from dewalt or whatever other brand...... here is my question based on woodwork when I was in high school.

In school we used rough cut mahogany and Koa woods.... we would cut them to length with a little extra just in case, then we jointed the edge and glued them together for the width that we needed. After that we would plane it down to size.... some pieces were fairly wide.... for example a cabinet door would be maybe 20" or so and our planer was huge so we could feed that through. My question for those who are saying to buy a planer and assuming they are owning a 12-13" wide planer.... is there any way or trick to use to plane boards that are wider? Or are you stuck making smaller projects? Also assuming that the process we used in high school is the same you are using. Unless you guys are planing to thickness first and then gluing the edges?

·
where's my table saw?
27,880 Posts
You can do a lot with a 13" or 15" planer.
Years ago the school shops had the 15" and 20" planers as the standard. Along came 24" drum and wide belt sanders which allows glued up panels to be sanded easily. If you have a panels wider than 24" then it's time to call a cabinet shop and ask them for some shop time on their wide belt.
I have used my Jet 15" planer and a 24" dual drum sander to make beautiful flat panels made from multiple pieces. The drum sander was the last large machine I purchased and it doesn't get used routinely, but is invaluable when it is needed.
Glue joints can be hand planed, scraped and sanded with a ROS for most times when a multiple glue up is necessary. So it all depends on your needs, skills and budget. ;) bill

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
We're a pro shop and a heavy duty 15 is about all we need.Anything requiring larger and I can source it out cheaper.......just sayin.BW

·
Registered
57 Posts
PapaPont said:
Unless you guys are planing to thickness first and then gluing the edges?
That's what we do. Just be careful to keep the edges lined up when gluing. The fly tying table I posted photos of in the projects forum is made up of 3 or 4 boards equaling 25".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts