Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a home show today and saw a couple vendors that had adirondack chairs made out of a dense plastic 1 inch thick material. It looked like it was made from recycled plastic and they had several colors available.

I tried searching on the internet for it but I couldn't find anything. I don't know if I was using the wrong name for the material or maybe it's not available for retail sale.

If anyone has any idea what the name of the plastic lumber is or where it's available I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pvc .....?
Composite?
No, it wasn't PVC, it wasn't that smooth. It didn't have a wood grain pattern like Trex either. I've seen picnic tables and park benches made out of the same material. I think it's recycle plastic, no wood fillers in it.

·
7,222 Posts
You were at the show, did you make a note of the names of the vendors?

Does the show have a web site with the names of the vendors? If so, contact them to ask the name of the plastic "wood".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were at the show, did you make a note of the names of the vendors?

Does the show have a web site with the names of the vendors? If so, contact them to ask the name of the plastic "wood".
It seemed like every outdoor furniture place at the show had them and they all looked like they came from the same manufacturer. I looked but didn't see any labels on the chairs. I asked a couple of the vendors and they had no idea, all they were interested in was if I was going to buy one of their chairs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was at a home show today and saw a couple vendors that had adirondack chairs made out of a dense plastic 1 inch thick material. It looked like it was made from recycled plastic and they had several colors available.

I tried searching on the internet for it but I couldn't find anything. I don't know if I was using the wrong name for the material or maybe it's not available for retail sale.

If anyone has any idea what the name of the plastic lumber is or where it's available I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks
The material you may be looking for is called Azek (or atleast it's what the company that makes it is called) it's specifically used for outdoor applications because it will resist rot, only problem is that it can be costly and expands and contracts quite a bit.
http://www.azek.com/
most of the time you'll get a single smooth side and a single side moulded to look like cedar or something of the sort.

·
Registered
12,590 Posts

Thanks
I would ask the vendors.

George

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is pvc decking, but you were probably looking at composite decking matierial used to make the chairs. Its made from recycled materials like milk jugs and water bottles. Trex decking is one of the biggest name brands out there for it but I have used other brands as well. Do a search on composite decking and you might have some luck.

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
I know what you are talking about. It comes in a bunch of colors and is made to nominal sizes.

It is used for outdoor benches and things like that. Personally, it is kind of ugly and kind of heavy too.

Let me see what I can find, I have a piece of their green 2x4 somewhere.

Might not be the same manufacturer, but I am pretty sure this is what you saw.
http://www.plasticboards.com/recycled-plastic-products/select-plastic-lumber/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Teikas, the material they are using is polywood, a brand of plastics manufactured in Indiana by a company called Poly-Wood Inc. The plastic type is HDPE and opposed to trex brand product polywood is 100% synthetic. We have a lot of local guys that buy the polywood material and build chairs for local lake homes etc. its a great product, I myself have six adirondacks built from the material. their website is www.polywoodlumber.com
Thanks - Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Teikas, the material they are using is polywood, a brand of plastics manufactured in Indiana by a company called Poly-Wood Inc. The plastic type is HDPE and opposed to trex brand product polywood is 100% synthetic. We have a lot of local guys that buy the polywood material and build chairs for local lake homes etc. its a great product, I myself have six adirondacks built from the material. their website is www.polywoodlumber.com
Thanks - Tim
That's the stuff! Thanks Tim. I knew it wasn't Trex or Azek as I have used them on various decking and trim projects. Polywood is the material the chairs were made out of. Warnerconst, that link you provided looks like it's the same material as the polywood, recycled HDPE plastic. Thanks for posting the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts