Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are newborn and children photographers and are looking for plans to build planes, boats and other things that are sturdy and can be used as "sit in" props in our studio.
I have both the knowledge of woodworking and tools needed, just don't have any specific plans....
Ideas welcomed..

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I don't have any plans but you could check wooden toy books in the library, which should give you a really good start.

Typically I don't really use plans for things like this, and just go based upon a picture in my mind or just a picture on paper. That said, I would just make simple shapes in large scales. A plane doesn't have to look like a plane in any kind of detail but a silhouette, for example. You can quite easily build a small "car" (basically a box) that just has wooden wheels that don't turn. Or, you could just build a couple of "h" chairs (3 pieces of plywood) in different sizes and have props like a WWII pilot's helmet and goggles, or a wooden steering wheel and not actually build the full "vehicle". (These would be more conducive to toddlers and small children, though.) My kids have two of these chairs and rearrange them all the time for different sitting positions stacked, unstacked, side by side, back to back, and they have a blast playing with them too. (If this option does work, you could easily make some silhouette cutouts to put the chairs behind as well.)

Anything with bright colors is going to be a plus for most parents but may make the actual photography harder. Natural, light colored woods with a non-gloss shell finish will be best for photography, I'd think. Make sure you can just wipe dirt and fingerprints off the finish though, or else it will show up in the photos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts