Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to forum and am looking for some advice. I am having some some difficulties with my planer so I was wondering if you guys might be able to offer up some opinions on what the problem might be. I currently have a 13 in ridgid planer I bought when I was first starting out because the price was right and reviews were for the most part good but I have outgrown it so I am saving up to buy a larger grizzly floor model but I am basically needing to use the ridgid to get through the next couple projects to pay for the new planer. But anyway on to the problem at hand I always make sure I have a side good and flat when I start to have as a refference point but when I run it through the planer flat side down the freshley planed side is always thinner on the front right corner and back left corner as if the board is twisted. At first I thought the infeed/outfeed tables were just out of alignment so I went through and checked everything and reset the tables to where they were flat and level but still the same problem. So I went and bought a new set of blades thinking possibly one was bent still no change. I've gone through and checked just about other small possibility that I can think of and still no improvement. If any of you guys have any suggestions I would greatly greatly appreciate it because right now I am at a complete loss. Thank you in advance guys best regards.

·
Registered
28,388 Posts
There must be something out of adjustment. The ridgid planer has a good reputation. I have a delta planer. It has a threaded rod on each side that elevates the cutterhead. To keep them both in sync the two are connected with a chain, like a bicycle chain. If the chain were to slip one notch on the sprocket the cutterhead would sit on a angle. You might check to see if your ridgid has a similar system.

There is a lot of talk about Grizzly equipment here but I wouldn't consider one an upgrade. I had never seen or used a Grizzly tool until recently when I bought a G1026 shaper. I expected the quality to be something in the range of Delta but after receiving it I think it was closer to Harbor Freight. I see now why they are cheaper.

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
Hello everyone I am new to forum and am looking for some advice. I am having some some difficulties with my planer so I was wondering if you guys might be able to offer up some opinions on what the problem might be. I currently have a 13 in ridgid planer

I always make sure I have a side good and flat when I start to have as a refference point but when I run it through the planer flat side down the freshley planed side is always thinner on the front right corner and back left corner as if the board is twisted. At first I thought the infeed/outfeed tables were just out of alignment so I went through and checked everything and reset the tables to where they were flat and level but still the same problem.

So I went and bought a new set of blades thinking possibly one was bent still no change. I've gone through and checked just about other small possibility that I can think of and still no improvement. If any of you guys have any suggestions I would greatly greatly appreciate it because right now I am at a complete loss. Thank you in advance guys best regards.
It seems to me that it must be some type of feed problem because the thin spots are on each side. You do not say, but I am assuming that past the front right corner and ahead of the rear left corner all is flat as it should be.

I certainly am guessing, but it would appear to me that this is somehow akin to snipe.

George

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like snipe to me as well. Got any pictures? Check the infeed and outfeed pressure roller heights. I would assume the manual would list the appropriate range for them to be set at. Also as far as the grizzly comments I would have to disagree. I have used a bunch of their tools and have found them to be a very good value. I have not used any I would consider to be of harbor freight quality and would absolutely consider my planer an upgrade over the ridgid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.