Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jet 13" planer. New blades 3/07. today while finishing cherry boards for a table the boards come through with a scratch. Always in the same location from the board edge. i took the planer apart to check the blades and can find no chips, etc in the blades. does anyone have a suggestion?????
Mike

·
Registered
419 Posts
Scratch?

Is it an indentation? in which case it is probably from your pressure rollers. Something attached causing a groove however unlikely.
Is it a rib that is proud of the surface? in which case it is assuredly your blade/blades which means the will need flipped.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed,
I reversed the blades and walla, no scratch. I was convinced it was NOT the blades and did not even try. Thanks so much.
Mike
Elliottsburg, PA (Harrisburg area)

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
That would be a nick line, not a scratch. You can remove some small nicks by moving one blade to the right or left by about a 1/16" I use this trick often instead of replacing knives.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Moving the blades

Hey Leo G,
I'm thinking that the smaller/portable planers have dowel pins that the blades engage limiting the ability to shift them from side to side. I do see how this might work in the larger machines like I , and possibly, you have.

Hey Amstutz 1,
Glad it worked. Oh, and by the way, walla is not spelled walla. It is spelled Viola but normally pronounced the same. We must improve the image of the woodworker, nez pas?

Ed

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
I didn't realize that they mad a 13" portable planer. I thought the largest was a 12 1/2". My bad. I have a Jet 15" and I can do this when it is necessary. Same with my jointer, as a matter of fact I did it just two days ago. The other trick is to buy two sets of knives and always have them ground as a set. You take out one knife and replace it, in a 3 knifed machine you get to do this three times before you need to send out the knives for nick removal. If the get dull before that, well, you'll need to send them out sooner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
voila

Hey man, don't be sorry. If I am wrong, I am wrong. A little education is a dangerous thing. Oh well, where's the scotch?

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts