Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo....... I had it all planned out. Taxes come back, order my new Grizzly 15" planer to replace my junk Delta Portable tht doesn't like hardwood. Well, My wife is at Lowes right now looking at Not Planers but Washer and Dryer:sick:.....WTF. There goes my planer. Those stupid things are expensive!!! I keep telling her the Grizzly Planer is only $1250.00, that's considerably less the washer and dryer.

She thinks the planer is a toy, I explained the tool concept to her but there is no reasoning.....:blink:

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's always easier to let the women buy something first.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Rule of Life #1: If the woman is happy, the man will be happy. Get the planer next year.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Let me put it this way. There are two questions that only you can answer.

1 ~ How close you and SWMBO snuggle at night and how often?

2 ~ Do you like to wear clean underwear?

Advice: Encourage her to pick out the more expensive models that will make her chores easier. The planer may just appear for birthday or father's day.

Reactions: durdyolman

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rule of Life #1: If the woman is happy, the man will be happy. Get the planer next year.
I say tell wife you will be glad to get her the washer & dryer if it makes her happy. Then ask her if she wants to make you happy, when she says yes say then we will get all three.

George

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is an easy one. Get the planer. The wife could always to a friends or a laundry mat to wash and dry clothes.

Yea, that's right...my wife does not read this forum! :eek:

You're better off making her happy now, your time will come one way or another. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is an easy one. Get the planer. The wife could always to a friends or a laundry mat to wash and dry clothes.

Yea, that's right...my wife does not read this forum! :eek:

You're better off making her happy now, your time will come one way or another. :thumbsup:

For the mere price of $1000, I'll not send her a link to this posting.

Reactions: Bumpus

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I know.....shes happy now. Oh well, maybe I can scrape up my plowing money for a planer. Trouble is this is the season I start stocking up on fishing equipment which gets extremely expensive as well. Makes it easier to get up at 2:00 am to go plow when you know its your play money for tools or tackle!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Did you explain to her that the washer and dryer will not surface boards very well at all? She obviously does not understand.

In the center of the photo of my shop you will notice a small Delta portable planer sitting piggy back on my 15" Grizzly. The Griz is a pretty good machine but I could easily set the Delta on top of the washing machine!

P1190229.jpg

You could always use the dryer like a rock tumbler. Throw a bunch of sandpaper and a bunch of wood blocks in there and let er run for a week or so and out will come a bunch of wood blocks with all the edges rounded off smoothly, they will be nice and warm too.

Bret

·
Registered
162 Posts
Buy the nicest, shiniest, most expensive washer/ dryer set they have. Then to to the flea market, and buy the nastiest, ugliest, most broken down jack planes, scrub planes and block planes you can find. Why? Because every single one of us is lucky to have the wonderful women in our lives that tolerate all of our craziness. That planer will show up in due time, that I can garauntee. Tell her you love her.

WCT

·
Banned
382 Posts
I'm not married, so I would go with the planer and hit up the laundrymat when need be.

If I were married, I would go with the washer and dryer. If you're braver than me, you could try for the planer now. Just don't forget that old saying, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". P.S. That fury is worse when she lives with you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When I saw the title to this post, I thought to myself, well "duh", that's a no-brainer. I was in the same situation last year....hopefully getting new band saw this year.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Can you scrape by do another year or two with a dw735x? They've had them for 499 a few times lately and in a year or toe you should easily be able to get 300 out of it used....

Food for thought....

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I do not even understand why this topic was even posted. Surely somebody who has to ask a question like this is not safe working by himself around wood working equipment.

George

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do not even understand why this topic was even posted. Surely somebody who has to ask a question like this is not safe working by himself around wood working equipment.

George
I'm safe....who are you? A divorce Lawyer????:laughing:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The way I see this, you have to choose between three different things.

1. Buy the washer-dryer and spend all year hoping that when next years check comes she doesn't want a new fridge.

2. Get the planner as its plainly known that you are already getting your clothes clean between wearings.

3. Leave the greedy woman who would dare to come between a man and his tools!

There are problems with all three so my next suggestion to to stay single in the first place, but you already blew that one..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts