Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An off-brand 15" planer was given to me and I'm working on getting it in shape. I've had no experience with this sort of thing, so...

As you can see from the photos there is rust in the knife slots of the cutter head. I've sent the knives in to be sharpened and want to clean these slots up. It doesn't seem that a wire brush is the best idea. I could wrap a stick with sand paper... What would you do? I thought about removing the cutter head but don't know what that involves.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Chuck Barnett

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Some of this is superficial, so should be easy to remove.

I would not try removing the cutter head. A lot of work.

I would try a spray on product like T-9 and scrub with an old tooth brush or a small nylon brush.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000984/208/t9-rust-free-845-ounce-pump-spray.aspx

Block off either end of the slot with paper towel so you keep the product in the slot.

Does not take long, then flush out with e.g., WD-40 which is cheap and will leave a protective film.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dave! It happens that I am going to be in the vicinity of a Rockler store today and hopefully they have it (T-9) as well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You could also try Evaporust. I've used it before with pretty good results. I'd soak a paper towel with it, insert it in to the blade slots, and then lighty wrap a layer of shrink wrap around the whole cutter head to seal the stuff in.

Take it all off after 24 hours and see what you have. At the very least, it will get rid of a large amount of the more visible stuff and let you pinpoint the areas that need more work.

I found it in the plumbing section of the blue big box store.

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts