Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a grizzly 12 1/2in planer that I got around christmas time. I've probably planed 800bdft through it. I'm not sure how many passes though 4-8 for each board probably. Anyhow my blades are DEAD I'm not even sure I can sharpen them. Is this normal or premature wear? Half of what I planed was ash and the other half was cherry.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Ash and cherry are pretty hard. I guess I never paid attention to how many bft I run between sharpening, so I could not say if that was premature or not, but it doesn't sound like it. Besides I mix cedar and other soft woods in there too. Did it come with 2 sets of knives so you can always keep one sharp?

"Anyhow my blades are DEAD I'm not even sure I can sharpen them" Why couldn't they be sharpened? They should be able to be sharpened 20-30 times (or more, I just knick mine sometimes hitting a hidden nail or something:censored:, they need a little more grinding than just dull ones)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didn't come with 2 sets but they might be double sided. I'm sure they're probably not dead. I bought a $30 sharpener a few months ago and haven't had much luck with it. I don't need the planer until next week so I'll have a couple of days to figure it out. I'm learning that good maintenance really saves money in the long run.

Awesome fishing lures on your site by the way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts