Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a thickness planer. I was talking with my father to day to wish him a happy Father's Day and we started talking about planers. He said that he has a Delta 13" and is happy with it. I'm looking at the DeWalt due to price; however, I don't know if I want the 13" or the 12.5". Honestly, what is the big difference of .5"? Is it worth the extra $200 for the 13"?

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
There are a ton of similar posts on here so I'd recommend doing a quick search. I have the DW735 (13") one & I've been told its a lot better than the DW734 (12.5"). I think HD actually sells the smaller one for about $360.

When I bought my planer last year, it was a tough call between the newer DeWalt and the Rigid. I ended up with an AWESOME deal on the DeWalt, which is the only reason I bought it. Otherwise I would have gotten the Rigid with the lifetime warranty. The newer DeWalt narrowly beat out the Rigid in magazine reviews & is $200 more.

That being said, I'm very happy with my DeWalt with the limited use that I've put it through.

Anyways, just my opinions...

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are a ton of similar posts on here so I'd recommend doing a quick search. I have the DW735 (13") one & I've been told its a lot better than the DW734 (12.5"). I think HD actually sells the smaller one for about $360.

When I bought my planer last year, it was a tough call between the newer DeWalt and the Rigid. I ended up with an AWESOME deal on the DeWalt, which is the only reason I bought it. Otherwise I would have gotten the Rigid with the lifetime warranty. The newer DeWalt narrowly beat out the Rigid in magazine reviews & is $200 more.

That being said, I'm very happy with my DeWalt with the limited use that I've put it through.

Anyways, just my opinions...
Which magazine had a review on the Rigid planer? I'm in the market for a planer and the Rigid planer is tempting with the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dewalt 13"

I bought the Dewalt 13" and it has been fabulous. I have planned some hard maple 12.5 wide, wow. I may upgrade the knives to carbide or helical head.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the DeWalt products. Every DeWalt tool I own has never failed me and I've only been happy with the performance. I know if I get the 13" DW735 or DW735X I will be just as happy as everyone here is with theirs; however, my real question was about a .5" difference and why I should spend an extra $200 for the larger planer. From what I have read, they appear to have the same HP and both have three blades in contrast to other planers that only have two. The physical appearances are different but when reading the information on both, both planers appear almost exactly the same with the exception on the blade length, weight (only 12ld difference) and max speed. Again, is it worth $600 for DW735 or $550 for DW735X apposed $400 for the DW734? My issue is the price difference for and increase of .5" in the blade not the quality. I want to save as much cash as possible.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I wouldn't base my selection of a planer on that 1/2" difference. Price, quality, features, reviews, etc. are important but that 1/2" difference in width means next to nothing.

For what it's worth, I have a DeWalt 733 (the earlier 2-blade sister to the 734) and am very happy with its reliability and quality of its cut.

Bill

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
To me, the 1/2 inch is not going to matter. If you were talking 12 inchs verses 15, then I would go for the 15 inch. I have an old 12 inch Dewalt planner and I have put it through HECK!! It keeps right on PLANNING!

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
How often are you going to plane something 12" wide? If you are actually doing 12" wide planning, I want to know where you're buying your wood!

I have access to a 24" Oliver planer. I think that the widest I've ever planed was 8".

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'd go as wide as you can. That 1/2" just may save your butt at some point in the future. I have a rigid 13" planer that is not bad. Looking to upgrade to a 15 or 20" planer soon.
I have maxed out its cut capacity quite frequently.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm getting a 735 today. I'm going with it over the 735x because of the RPM. I have to believe it will cut better and last longer with double the speed. As for the size, I'd agree that you likely won't use the full capacity, but I doubt the extra half inch is putting the price that high. You usually get what you pay for, though I do realize you're sometimes paying for a name.

One of my favorite quotes, "the bitterness of poor quality lasts far longer than the sweetness of a good price."

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm getting a 735 today. I'm going with it over the 735x because of the RPM. I have to believe it will cut better and last longer with double the speed. As for the size, I'd agree that you likely won't use the full capacity, but I doubt the extra half inch is putting the price that high. You usually get what you pay for, though I do realize you're sometimes paying for a name.

The 735 X is the same planer, same rpm. With the X you get an extra set of knives and the in and outfeed tables. A good choice if you can swing the extra bucks.

DEWALT DW735X 13" Two-Speed Planer Package - Amazon.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Now I'm confused. The original description I read said 10,000 RPM, but I see that's the cutter head speed. Home Depot sells the 735x for $50 less than the 735, and it has the tables and extra blades. There has to be a catch, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Now I'm confused. The original description I read said 10,000 RPM, but I see that's the cutter head speed. Home Depot sells the 735x for $50 less than the 735, and it has the tables and extra blades. There has to be a catch, right?
I ordered my 735x and got it last week from homedepot.com. I thought it had to be a catch as well but it's the same unit everyone else was/is selling for $650. Online there was an extra $25 off last week with free shipping...not sure if that's still an option but it was shipped to my front door for $570.

I can't tell you how I like it yet but am sure ready to put some wood through it later today.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
735 and 735x are indeed the same unit, just with in and outfeed tables already included. Check amazon too, they had a great price for a while.

·
7,222 Posts
I do not think it is a catch, more how DeWalt are promoting the X model.

It is the same planer. Do not look at motor speeds, look at the cuts per in (cpi). Both have 96 / 176 cpi.

If you go for this machine, you will need the infeed/outfeed table to attempt to minimize snipe.

I bought this package. I am one of a number of owners who are not able to eliminate snipe with this machine. Apart from the snipe this works well. DeWalt blades may dull fast.

The plane is heavy and LOUD.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
The x model comes with the tables, and for all the bad things said about these knives, I've run a few hundred feet of oak, hard and soft maple through mine and I'm on the original set and side of knives.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a Delta 12-1/2" planer that I bought over 15 years ago (maybe 20). I had to replace the infeed roller recently but, outside of knives, that's the only repair I've ever had to make.

As for the 12-1/2" width, once I had a glue-up that took up the full width and I sent it through, I could hear the motor bog down. And it affected the results. I don't think these portable planers are really ready for prime time. IMO, they should be seen as maybe up to 8" planers for normal use. Usually, when you get wide boards you'll want to rip them and glue them up to make them more stable anyway so 12-1/2" or 13" really doesn't matter.

I've put all different kinds of hardwood through my planer. With certain woods you'll get chip out. From what I've read, the helical cutters reduce or eliminate this. So that would certainly be a feature that would increase the appeal of a planer, to me. But in the portables, I think only Steel City makes one. (Amazon sells it for $488.) If you work with figured or otherwise difficult woods, that might be worth looking into.

On the straight knife planer, my experience has been if the knives are really sharp you'll get a pretty clean cut. But once they begin to dull the results get worse, the planer begins to bog down, the infeed roller becomes strained. Mine are fairly cheap and easy to replace. But one nick, and you have to replace (or flip) the whole blade. The helical heads have a lot of four-sided cutters that can easily be rotated if one gets chipped.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I love the DeWalt products. Every DeWalt tool I own has never failed me and I've only been happy with the performance. I know if I get the 13" DW735 or DW735X I will be just as happy as everyone here is with theirs; however, my real question was about a .5" difference and why I should spend an extra $200 for the larger planer. From what I have read, they appear to have the same HP and both have three blades in contrast to other planers that only have two. The physical appearances are different but when reading the information on both, both planers appear almost exactly the same with the exception on the blade length, weight (only 12ld difference) and max speed. Again, is it worth $600 for DW735 or $550 for DW735X apposed $400 for the DW734? My issue is the price difference for and increase of .5" in the blade not the quality. I want to save as much cash as possible.

I owned both the 734 and the 735 the reason I got rid of the 734 was the great deal I got on the 735. There is more then just a half inch difference between the too. The 735 is more robust it also has a built in cutter head lock. The 734's cutter head lock needs to be manual moved not built in like the 735. It might not seem like a lot but when you compare the two side by side you'll see why the price difference.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I ordered my 735x and got it last week from homedepot.com. I thought it had to be a catch as well but it's the same unit everyone else was/is selling for $650. Online there was an extra $25 off last week with free shipping...not sure if that's still an option but it was shipped to my front door for $570.

I can't tell you how I like it yet but am sure ready to put some wood through it later today.
That is a great buy for anyone looking. I have had mine since '07 and am totally happy with it. I don't plane a lot but when I do it is red oak or maple and I just recently changed the knives. I used the honing jig from Infinity occasionally to keep them sharp.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts