Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in learning how to tune up my hand plane. I'm looking for all the basics including the names of the various parts, their function etc. In other words, "planes for dummies"
style instructions.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Search that topic here, I'm sure it's been covered before. Or search YouTube. If none of those help, Rob Cosman has a video called "Hand plane revival" that gives detailed instructions.

·
7,222 Posts
I'm looking for all the basics including the names of the various parts, their function etc.
A number of sites have the parts diagram in this link, but this is the only summary of the hardware thread specifications I have come across so far. Useful to know the threads when restoring. Now and again folks force fit replacement screws which are lost or damaged.

It is a Record plane site, but Record followed the Stanley design for bench planes.

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/parts-and-sizes.html

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Heres a basic parts breakdown from:

http://supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm

#3 - Cap Screw
#4 - Lever Cap
#5 - Lever Cap Screw
#6 - Frog Complete
#7 - "Y" Adjusting Lever
#8 - Adjusting Nut
#9 - Lateral Adjusting Lever
#10 - Frog Screw
#11 - Plane Handle (Tote)
#12 - Plane Knob
#13 - Handle (Tote) Bolt and Nut
#14 - Knob Bolt and Nut
#15 - Plane Handle (Tote) Screw
#16 - Plane Bottom
#46 - Frog Adjusting Screw

Hope this helps.
..Jon..

·
18 TH. Century Furniture
26 Posts
Plane tun -up

The Woodcraft Store near me, (Canton, MI.) regularly has a Saturday class on plane tune-up. I got to believe that other Woodcraft Stores are performing similar classes and training.

The Canton, MI. Store (Ford Road) is giving a free seminar on that exact subject Saturday September 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Can you tell I'm near the Motor City; "Ford Road", "Plymouth, MI."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts