Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey and a big thanks to all who help! So I got My first hand plane and have been trying to get a good edge on it using a jig I bought and sandpaper. I marked along the edge with a marker then filed away on a 25 degree angle. Finally a couple hrs later on the 220 grit I got the mark scrubbed all the way off across the blade. When I toolkit out of the jig and looked at the edge I noticed it looked like it wasn't square so I put it all together and had to push the adjustment bar all the way over and it still is sticking up higher alittle on one side. I'm not sure what the problem is so please help! I really like this by hand idea and wow is it smooth! Oh, it's a stanley no5 old school model, thanks!

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
No worries!

Remove the lever cap and iron/chip breaker. Center the Lateral adjuster, replace the iron with it skewed a bit to straighten the cutting edge to the mouth. Install the lever cap and try again.

The bevel doesn't have to be perfectly square to the iron and it's easy to forget to center the lateral adjuster before installing the iron.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually,I just hadn't checked that so after checking it still is off slightly. I think it must be I wasn't holding even pressure. Here's a pic, I'm not sure you can see it but I'll post one of the edge.that's the jig I used in the background.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thats way off square I'd look at investing in a different jig if I were u. I don't think human error will throw you that far off. Veritas sells a very nice one that i use mkii I think? Anyway completely dummy proof set up and even has a micro bevel adjuster making touch ups a snap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I don't have access to a grinder. I wonder what I did wrong, it seemed foolproof. Great now I'm not sure what to do. I went through about 6 whole sheets of 220 sandpaper messing it up too! My arms are jello!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know firemedic.... The only way I see him getting a result like that using a jig is if he seated the blade in the jig off square. I've got that jig he's using (from lie Nielsen I think) and I honestly don't see it happening. If it was him using uneven pressure the result would be rounded not a clean straight edge like he got.

I really think u need to scrap that jig and try another. Somethings wrong here.

Lesson learned though.... Plane irons or chisels stop frequently to check your work when sharpening. Nows the perfect time to pick up a cheap hand crank grinder on eBay I got mine for 15 bucks and will rehab a chipped blade or fix something like that in minutes.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
that looks like the robert larson honing guide. i have that one. i think it can rock, and if you don't have even pressure on both sides to keep it from leaning, i can see how it could end up like that. dang bro, looks like you're gonna need a few more pieces of paper ...

also, if i remember correctly, one side of the clamping mechanism is slightly rounded and other side is flat. i wonder if maybe you somehow didn't have it flush against the flat side or something... ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking at your picture again it seems as if the blade was contacting the sand paper lower on one side than the other. It would explain how u ended up with a thicker bevel on one side and a skewed result rather than a straight square edge. I can see a few things causing this.

1 something was lodged under the blade when u seated it into and tightened it into the jig.

2 u attached the sandpaper down to an uneven surface. Most people use a piece of glass or marble or some even use mdf

3 ur jig is bent.

I would put a chisel or another plane iron u know is square and look at your setup to see if u can figure out what went wrong.

·
where's my table saw?
29,965 Posts
consider a different jig

What you want is a jig with a wider wheel, so it has more bearing surface and can't tilt. I am not familar with this one, but it looks like it may be better.... I donno? Stanley 16-050 Sharpening System - Amazon.com
This one comes with a stone as well and is very reasonable.

The Robert Larson jig is also picture down below and that looks like the one you have. The single wheel in the center doesn't give much bearing surface and if you have the blade tilted in the jig, even more chance to get a skewed result. If there is a burr on the dovetail "V" inside the jig that will cause your result. Inspect it carefully and see if the iron sits square in the jig.

If you have spray marking dye like machinists use or a wide black marker, I would use that and start over and inspect the results often. I use my 6" X 48" vertical sander for sharpening most tools that I have. A light touch and a fine grit belt works for me.... :yes:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It's really not that difficult to hone a plane iron or chisel by hand without the use of a jig. Took me only a little practice to get the technique down. I use a piece of 1/2" tempered glass which I stick sandpaper to. Start at 220 and go up to 1000, then strop.
It would be nearly impossible to produce a result like that by hand because you have a better feel for what's going on, and thus more control. JMO

·
Registered
470 Posts
Every woodworker needs a grinder with a good tool rest. Even a hand operated one is better than none.
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has an eye for anything anymore and need a jig for everything. I'm an old man, stood in the garage door opening so sparks would go outdoors, and sharpened this mower blade with a right angle grinder in one hand and blade in the other. If needed to shave wood another 5 minutes with a file at most and 5 possibly with a stone. I don't need no stinkin jig to sharpen stuff.:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I experienced the same thing

Hey and a big thanks to all who help! So I got My first hand plane and have been trying to get a good edge on it using a jig I bought and sandpaper. I marked along the edge with a marker then filed away on a 25 degree angle. Finally a couple hrs later on the 220 grit I got the mark scrubbed all the way off across the blade. When I toolkit out of the jig and looked at the edge I noticed it looked like it wasn't square so I put it all together and had to push the adjustment bar all the way over and it still is sticking up higher alittle on one side. I'm not sure what the problem is so please help! I really like this by hand idea and wow is it smooth! Oh, it's a stanley no5 old school model, thanks!
I almost threw the jig in the trash. First check to make sure the blade is sitting flat on the surfaces of the jig. Hold it up to the light. If you can see light between the blade and the jig surface, you either inserted the blade incorrectly or the jig needs a little work- This Lie Nielsen video worked for me.

I use the jig along side both of my Kell honing guides and find that all work fine for different applications.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts