Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to create a foldable bed table and found a sample on youtube
Initially I thought about using sex bolt for the pivoting of the legs however upon close inspection the foldable on youtube doesnt seem to use sex bolt as there is no bolt visible on the apron. I’m wondering if there are other ways to allow pivoting of the leg without visible bolt on the apron?
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Terry. The legs simply pivot on a rod of some sort, then held in place by the other folded boards (similarly pivoted?). The pivot rods installed during the skirt/leg assembly. The pivoting motion (and probably assembly method) is probably similar to the router bit folding boards in my router storage cabinet. See thread with pics here - Router Bit Storage

There's 2 other videos of interest. This guy does good work with simple mechanics installed in elegant ways. Why such a construct? I'm thinking in small oriental living spaces, it's convenient to fold up your tea table and store it aside, making room for more living space. Or in larger living spaces, it's nice to practice one's oriental customs with family and friends, then store the tea table when not in use. For an elegant tea table, I'd opt for 3/8" or 1/2" brass rods for the pivots, not wooden dowels.

Sonny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts