Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guys! So Because the school is short on wood and I have nothing to do ( except turn) I decided I would build a pistol case and really try to show off what I can do. It's going to be for my grandfather and it will be solid black walnut... I don't have many pictures right now Because the wood is at school but I am doing a little work at home for the back and bottom piece. I'll show you guys what I'm after in the pictures below. Everything will be at 1/2 inch thick as this is a small fine tuned box. For the top I plan on running it at a 45 degree angle on the table saw to give me look I want. I'm looking to do inlayed or ( doubled) dovetails. I know a lot of people who use these use a jig that has an adjustable piece that decides how thick the dovetail is. I do not. So what I'm going to do is use the black walnut and maple. First I will dovetail using a 1/2 dovetail bit cutting into both walnut and maple. I will glue it up tight and let it dry from there I'm going to cut off the excess maple so now the only thing left of maple is the what is physically glued in the dovetail. Then I'm going to take a 3/8 dovetail bit and run it again. Cutting out the excess maple leaving me with a 3/8 dovetail and 1/8 maple inlay. I will post a picture of that as well. I will update this thread whenever I can. And as often as I can. I am also going to customize it by putting "POP-POP" centered on the top and some designs in the corners we have a laser that does an amazing job an can punch this out in about 5 minutes. Thanks for reading guys! Hope you'll enjoy!! Drop me a comment on anything that you think would make this better or just to say hi!

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Effingham said:
That's a really nice, clean job. Hm. I think I might make a case for my replica 1858 Remington.... ;)
Well I didn't do that one. Hahaha I'm in the process of making one like that lol

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sounds like a great design! One other thing you might start thinking about is how you are going to finish the interior. Lots of different options and materials to choose from. I've never done a case like this, but there have been lots of different posts here with many different design ideas - everything from felt to leather and just about everything in between.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
johnnie52 said:
If you're making it at school, you best tell them its a jewelry box and not a gun case. Some liberal teacher might just have you expelled for saying gun on school property.
Hahahaha isn't that the truth! I told my teacher it was a pistol case he is fine with it. He's a hunter/fisher himself so he understands just fine. He has buck antlers hanging up all around the shop. Although some teachers would probably get me in trouble. That's the sad part. He told me I had to measure the 357 at home! Hahahaha

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trc65 said:
Sounds like a great design! One other thing you might start thinking about is how you are going to finish the interior. Lots of different options and materials to choose from. I've never done a case like this, but there have been lots of different posts here with many different design ideas - everything from felt to leather and just about everything in between.
Thank you! I plan on using.... I'm not sure what it's called but it's like felt that puffs up. Create a soft cushy spot for the gun to lay and it won't move around to much. I'll look around and post when I find something I like. Getting ready to go to shop class now. So I'll be getting to work on my practice inlayed dovetails ( cherry and pine) I'll let yins see them once there done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Be glad your not in NY my friends son was sent home the other day (he is 6) for bringing in a styrofoam sword that was 7 inches long. Teacher saw it in his back pack he never even took it out.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Let me help you get started looking for ideas. Here is a link to the one I made for my personal LC9. I lined it with velvet and while it doesn't have any trick dove tails, it does have a "different" locking mechanism.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/special-case-my-18x18x18-entry-50721/

There are a bunch of other gun cases here that members have built and shared, but as far as I can remember most do not show the build details. I think maybe there where only 2 or 3 others who shared their builds.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm bummed..... The dovetails were a complete fail. Nothing chipped out or anything but using the smaller bit ment that the pegs were WAY to big to fit into the smaller holes..... I'm extremely upset. But mark my words I will find a way to do these...............maybe.......... My next option is going to be A. Find a bigger bit to cut the first set then go to the normal half inch. And Buse a straight bit on the dovetail jig to cut finger joints. Use the same process. After that then I'm back to square one. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them! Thanks guys! I look forward to this thread being awesome!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
It looks good to me. The design, wood and dovetails are nicely done. That's something I admire but can't do well with that.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys. Update time. I tried and tried with the dovetails but couldn't figure it out. Without the Leigh jig I don't even know if it is possible. So I decided to just put plain old boring dovetails on it. I put a 1/4 dado in the bottom and rabbited the bottom peice. And the top. I'm currently working on it. However pictures will show you what it looks like. It has sap mixed in with the heart wood I think it will look nice but hard to tell. Let me know what y'all think

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That's starting to look nice and it's a good look with the top you've chosen.

The inlay/double dovetails are very doable, the problem is you were trying to do them with a jig, not by hand ;)

Here's a tutorial on making some by hand on Lumberjocks. I've not tried them yet, but I plan to sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That is really looking piece. Once you lay down a finish the grain is going to jump out in you face and really look great! :thumbsup:

Nothing boring about dovetails. They once were how true craftsmen judged each others work. Yours look very good.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks guys! I was hoping to pull off the inlayed but hey, better then mitering the corners right?? Anyway. Today I sanded some and I also glued up the top with the ledge. It will have a lock put through it. I used squeeze clamps tomoro I will cut the 45 on it then glue the box up and then I guess we are on to finishing! Wow! Quick build!

Attachments

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
JJ really starting to come along my son made a small box for his girlfriend made them by hand not that it matter What I'm trying to say is the work that you do is yours you put the time into it and it will be cherished by the one that you give it to. Take your time you say that this will be a quick build if you rush it, it might not.

Jerry

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wood shavings said:
JJ really starting to come along my son made a small box for his girlfriend made them by hand not that it matter What I'm trying to say is the work that you do is yours you put the time into it and it will be cherished by the one that you give it to. Take your time you say that this will be a quick build if you rush it, it might not. Jerry
Yes that sounds very true! I am going to give it to my grandfather. I also plan on making my grandmother something also out of black walnut so they can sit side by side on the dresser. I slice the longest part of this will be writing the program for the laser. I didn't mean I was going to rush it. I actually meant that it's going a lot faster then I thought it would.. I lost 3 days due to trial and error with dovetails.. So actually tomoro I will cut the 45 then start working on the laser program. Shouldn't be to hard but it's very time consuming. Much like a CNC program but thankfully I can copy and paste.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts